Help: need Data Recovery Software!

Hi All,

I need some quick help/advice on HD data recovery. My slave HD (yep, the one with all my work data on it) got corrupted somehow and now, every time I boot my PC i get BSOD right after the Windows load screen. Found numerous topics on this on various forums. My problem differs in that it stems from my slave HD. Can't boot into safe mode (BSOD), cant boot into Recovery mode from the install CD (BSOD). Here's what I've done and know for sure:

• When the slave HD is unplugged the PC boots up fine and works perfectly...my primary master HD is ok.
  • I'm sure the slave HD is physically/mechanically working ok. There's 2 partitions on the drive. I booted with a Linux CD and the 1st partition is working fine. It's the second partition that's corrupted.
  • I plugged the HD into other PCs and same thing, BSOD after the Win loading screen.
  • Ran "CHKDSK /f" and and "NTFSFIX" (from linux), no dice.

I CANNOT FORMAT/LOSE THIS DATA!!! Thus, I have come to the conclusion that I need some help/advice on Data Recovery software. Obviously the software would need to run in DOS or something that can operate before loading Windows. Or should I take it to some shop to have someone recover the data for me?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :confused:

Obviously the software would need to run in DOS or something that can operate before loading Windows. Or should I take it to some shop to have someone recover the data for me?

What type of filesystem is used? FAT, FAT32 NTFS? Because DOS usually cannot recognise some of the later types. Maybe there are some DOS-type utilities either on the Windows CD or available through Microsoft?

But obviously, professional help is something to consider if the data is that important.

When I read the title I was thinking 'undelete' sort of recovery. I have needed that, but not ever faced your exact problem.

Good luck, and I hope other, more informed, persons add to this.

Ok, been thinking about it and....unless anyone has any other ideas that I could try, I going to look into sending it out to a professional for data recovery.

Does anyone have any experience/advice on companies to send my HD to? What kind of prices can I expect.

Thanks again!

If the problem is software, I can make a couple suggestions. First is to use knoppix - it's a linux distribution that can read NTFS drives. You can download ISOs in several locations.

2nd is to download a NTFS2DOS utility (search on google) and try it while using the DOS boot.

If the problem is physical, I'd recommend taking the HD out of the computer and not trying anything else but a professional data recovery.

Good luck!

Hi abicahlo, I used the KNOPPIX cd in an early attempt at accessing the drive. That's how i know the first partition is working fine, I just couldn't access the second.

I'll search for the NTFS2DOS boot, i'm currently downloading a couple of other dos NTFS readers. Thanks for your input as well!

SUCCESSSS :)!!!!!

I "borrowed" a Windows 03 Server install CD and booted up with that. I was able to get into the Recovery Console (i previously couldn't get there with the reg Windows XP Pro CD). Than I was able to run CHKDSK and fix the bad partition. I guess Win Server's tools are more advanced at recognizing corrupted NTFS partitions.

Mahalo again to all!

Thanks, hope it'll help someone else in this situation.

BTW: I called a reputable co. in LA about recovering the data off my HD, they quoted me $100 for evaluation, than $700-$1600 to actually recover the data. My data is probably worth it too me, but that certainly would've hurt to pay that. What a releif!