Tyrone Marshall
    Forum Username
    Continuumx

United_States

Default Tyrone Marshall - Final

Aenoadon - city of time rush

High Resolution Version
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Continuumx; April 27th, 2005 at 08:26 AM.

Name
    Hansy Better
    Forum Username
    hbetter

United_States

Default Re: Tyrone Marshall - Final

I have no sense of light or depth in this image. Composition is great. Point of view is too low. Feels like you are taking a physical model shot as opposed to engaging in the activity of walking.

Name
    Eric Hanson
    Forum Username
    ehanson

United_States

The image needs z-depth work to provide depth cueing. The surfaces feel too uniformly reflective w/o much work put into material development. More dirt and grime!

Name
    dbox matthew bannister
    Forum Username
    matthewbannister

United_States

Better sun placement would have helped this tremendously. The background needs some work to ground the model. The silhouetted people was a good decision.

Name
    Arnold Gallardo
    Forum Username
    Arnold Gallardo

United_States

An architectural piece like this surely would have been difficult to light and to present. It is almost like a blown up Pompodiu Centre or even a Post-Modern Crystal Palace. The lack of dramatic lighting (direction, time of day) betrays the architecture on this one. Lighting can be used to guide the viewer as well as to enhance the building. It is overall the primary reason for seeing something and if the lighting is not well established then the image fails.

It is not easy to get a sense of scale in this image as well as to make out the materials used and even the design cannot be appreciated collectively. you can aonly appreciate it in sections and that is a sad way to look at something intriguing like this space. Certainly a better camera angle could have been chosen to show more of the space.
    Last edited by Arnold Gallardo; May 3rd, 2005 at 09:40 PM.
    _ _ ______________ _ _
    Arnold Gallardo
    Visual Content Creator
    Technical Writer

Author:'3D Lighting: History,Concepts
    and Techniques'

Name
    Tyrone Marshall
    Forum Username
    Continuumx

United_States

Thanks for the comments from the judges, I really appreciate your comments.

I do agree that the lighting could be much stronger and there should have been some depth of field.

The modeling effort versus the texturing and lighting was not balanced. The texturing could definitely be improved much.

There had been selected a closer view to the people waiting on the train, but I had switched rendering engines and it was most difficult to maintain that range and still manage to pull back enough to capture enough verticality.

I intend to take your comments in mind during the next Challenge. There should be much improvement in the areas you have given me direction in for this image.

Thankyou!

Name
    Lon Grohs
    Forum Username
    Lon

United_States

The architecture starts to become very interesting, but it fails to become anything other than a collection of objects out in space. There needs to be a sense of integration of this design into a whole, and that's hard to achieve that with just a gradient as the backdrop.

This is so close to a 2pt. perspective that it's a shame it's not. The scale figures have some intrigue and mystery, though I could live without the shoulder and arm in the foreground.

When every material becomes hyper reflective, it's hard to be convincing with light and depth.

Don't leave this alone though. Go back to it sometime and let it evolve into a much deeper piece.

Name
    Ernest Burden III
    Forum Username
    Ernest Burden

United States

Now that's how to treat a vehicle in a rendering! Look at the train on the right--just pulling in, setting a strong anchor for the picture, inviting the viewer to feel the mass of the incoming train without blocking the view. A great framing element.

Overall the lighting is confusing. I see sunlight on the high tower, but it gets lost in the structural birds' nest that dominates the picture. Oh, but there's light across the platform. I wish more light hit the structures to help show how it goes together. The tunnel-end structures on the platforms are great, the bright linework suggests a strange new material. However, it would be better to have either more light or more dark into those tunnels--they are too close to other tones in the same area.

The trains are multi-level, but not the people. They should be shown on other levels. They look good as shown, but would be better if darker.

The billboards are a nice way to bring in color. So you figure it would be self-illuminated, but the one on the right is dull. The main structure has about one material. I would like to see a bit more differentiation between the boxes, beams and pipes.

Finally, I wish there was some hint of context, some city or environment beyond. This is a lot of complexity to be out in the middle of nowhere.
    Ernest Burden III
    AcmeDigital
    architectural rendering.

Closed Thread

Thread Information