Name
    Olivier Campagne
    Forum Username
    oliviercampagne

France

Default Olivier Campagne - final

Hey, here is my final image
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oliviercampagne; April 27th, 2005 at 01:39 PM.

Name
    Hansy Better
    Forum Username
    hbetter

United_States

Default Re: Olivier Campagne - final

I like the realism, composition and drama of the rendering. What I find lacking is the depth of the image. The edges of all the buildings look too sharp and therefore exposes the technique of texture mapping. Looks too much like wallpaper. Apply light and density to the rendering, similar to your last rendering (challenge 1). Seems as if the two images came from two different authors.

Name
    Eric Hanson
    Forum Username
    ehanson

United_States

I enjoy this image for it's graphic strength and palatable sense of lighting. Areas to improve would be further texture detail and work on the turning of the corner of the sunlit building, doesn't feel quite right. Strong entry.

Name
    dbox matthew bannister
    Forum Username
    matthewbannister

United_States

Nice one, Jacque Tati. The values of the various elements are not cohesive, though. The road surface is way too dark compared to the rest of the scene, for example.

Name
    Arnold Gallardo
    Forum Username
    Arnold Gallardo

United_States

The composition and perspective on this image is quite attractive specially putting the straw hat on that girl on the left. However the extreme 'film-noir' feeling is overtly done. The relative cleanliness of the streets with some details missing (like a kiosk, garbage depositories) specially the lack of traffic details (walk/don't walk) is abit distracting. This makes the image very sterile even if there are people on it. Surely in some parts of downtown NY, kiosks are not allowed but in evaluating this image one is always forced to reference from real life (which for me is midtown Manhattatan around Fifth and Park ave.) You image certainly evokes this place or area.

If this is supposed to be Chicago or Manhattan then the traffic lights and the lampost designs are all online to serve as reference. The roadway markings also needs a bit of improvement, they need to be a bit dirty and uneven on the edges and slightly raised. These are paint with agregate mixture (silicates and sand etc.) so they are not flat on the surface but are embossed. Tire marks would also have helped sell the image better specially it is so close to the camera.

I do agree that the 2/3 of the image on the lower left quadrant is abit dark. that needs to be lightened up a bit. I also would have liked to have a seen a bit more of the top areas instead of being dramatically cut like it is. For a graphic arts piece it certainly works very well but as an arch-vis it needs some room to grow.
    Last edited by Arnold Gallardo; May 3rd, 2005 at 03:44 PM.
    _ _ ______________ _ _
    Arnold Gallardo
    Visual Content Creator
    Technical Writer

Author:'3D Lighting: History,Concepts
    and Techniques'

Name
    Lon Grohs
    Forum Username
    Lon

United_States

The lighting quality everywhere but the ground plane is very nice. The ground plane needs more care and consideration since it takes up 30% of your image. With a few small adjustments, this is a very good image.

Name
    Ernest Burden III
    Forum Username
    Ernest Burden

United States

An amazing piece. It's New York, no, it isn't. It's that mix of feeling so familiar and yet so surreal.

You wouldn't see a Citroen in NY, and not an old Dodge in Paris. Where are we? The light is not on our side, but it hasn't run off, either. Just walk over there. That bit of remaining daylight allows for a hopeful tone, transparency in the left building (the best part of modern architectural and the aspect most often blown by renderers) and that fantastic strip of confident reflection.

Your tonal range is perfection, this is light that has been bounced around, nothing remains pure for long in this environment. I would like to see some lights coming up in a few offices. There are people in them--a great detail--let's show lighing, especially the very right-side street-level space. The people are just-right, every one. But I want more, it's too quiet. The foreground woman could not be better or better placed. But I find myself wanting to add a man with a classic 40s hat much more foreground so we see just head and shoulders, shrouded in shadow. Also, the street could use some 'use', some dirt or variation, and some crowning. The crosswalk stripes show too well how un-realisticly flat the road is.

Great!
    Ernest Burden III
    AcmeDigital
    architectural rendering.

Closed Thread

Thread Information