Vray Night Room Interior

Hi Everyone, architects, modeleres, and designers....I´m writting this post because I´m looking for your help, you are experienced modelers, so I ask you this favor, I´m trying to doing an interior excercise, because I´ll work doing 3D perspectives, but i´m requested for a portfolio, I have a lot of exterior building renders, and I have no problem with exteriors, but at the time of doing interiors at night time, I have this problems: I´m using 3d max 7, Vray 1.46.12, and spot loghts, omni lights and target spots with vray shadows, but, when I try to put a light near a wall or in the roof, in the render it does not appear, it just appear when the light is away from walls and roof, and it doensshould be like this, why does it happen? and I can not find the correct render/lighting settings to make my scene look like real, I´m just a disaster doing interior lighting without sun ilumination, PLEASE I´M REQUESTING SUGGESTIONS, to modify my settings and make the lights work as they should, I´ll appreciate it very VERY much, and if someone has a link for a good interior lighting tutorial, I´ll be very thankfull.

I add the original render that I´m trying to copy, and two misserable attempts as well as my settings for render, the light settings are : shadows on with vray shadows, transparent shadows on, smooth shadows on, and area shadows in sphere 0,1 0,1 0,1 and 16 in subdivis. (0,1 is bcause if I rise the shadows doesn´t look soft).

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Cesar!!! Hi this is Mario from Mexico also, I'm sending you a post in english so everybody can read it with no problem!!:p

First you have done a good work for you self but it's is time to move into tutorials, here's a good one that help me evolve!!

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/VRayHelp150beta/tutorials_interior.htm

It does not talk about a night interior scene but according to the settings that you show in your original post it will help you to do a faster renderings so you can try diferent settings in your lights to reach perfection faster!!!

These are another pages with tutorials and settings from Vray:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/VRayHelp150beta/index.htm

http://www.vray.info/links.asp

http://alzhem.brinkster.net/sub1/tutorials/tutorial6.htm

I hope you find useful this tutorials as I have, you can contact me any time via email, may be I don't have answers but we can help each other to find them!!

Arq. Mario Reyes :)

Cesar. hello again, when you work with interior lights try to work with "photometric" type, in the "General Parameters" Rollout use "vray shadow", in the "Intensity/Color/Distribution" panel select "web" in the "Distribution" panel and in the "Web Parameters" rollout click the "none" tab to load an "ies" file.

The "ies" file it's information you can get from light bulb manufacturers from the different brand names, this files will tell exactly to 3dstudio and other similar software how the lights will cast illumination and shadows and how far they will reach so you don't have to imagine all this, here's a link http://www.alllighting.com/downloadies.html here you can get several "ies" files and also a small software to illustrate how the illumination it's distributed, also you can get more "ies" files if you search with google, there's a lot of information so take your time and enjoy the results!!!:cool:

Also keep in mind that it will take more time to render, but you will love the results!!!

Arq. Mario Reyes

• 1 month later...

Hey Greg!! This is Mario, basically most of the ligth fittings I model them with the software, others I download from www.e-interiors.net there you will find a lot of free meshes, you just have to register (it's free) so you can download them, when the render it's done in the 3d software I just ad lighting effects in photoshop!! Hope you'll find this info usefull!!

Mario Reyes

hey thanks alot mario. your render looks awesome. so i'm still a little confused as to how the glow effect on the lights occurs.

1. i was under the impression that you could achieve the light glow in your render and not have to add it post? (as shown in a AGI screen shot attached... don't have to add it post)

2. i tried to add an erco 3d light to my scene but it opens in its own .max file. i tried to export it from there into my scene but had no luck. isn't there a way to just drop it into your scene and render?

i attached my first render too for you to see what i mean about my lights not glowing. its not that pretty but i'm new to this stuff. HELP!! not having much luck. :(

Hey Greg, sorry for taking so long to answer but I was very busy at work!!

Any way let's see if I can answer some questions:

hey thanks alot mario. your render looks awesome. so i'm still a little confused as to how the glow effect on the lights occurs. I been using photoshop for the glowing effect, in the "effects" tab look for "distort" and then select "diffuse glow" it will affect directly the white areas, the more white the more glow will occur.

1. i was under the impression that you could achieve the light glow in your render and not have to add it post? (as shown in a AGI screen shot attached... don't have to add it post) Yes you can get the "glow" effect inside the 3d software, in particular 3D Studio can make the effect in two different ways, the first one it's by selecting each light and select "Atmosphere and Effects" then "Add" then "Lens Effects" then "ok", highlight this option once it's in the "Atmosphere and Effects" panel window and hit "setup" an "Enviroment and Effects" window will appear, select the "Efects" tab (if it's no selected already) and go to the options below and there you can load the different effects for the lights.

The second option its by using "Video Post" in the "Rendering" tab, first make sure that you are using a Camera in your scene, then in the Video Post window select the "Add Scene Event" and under "View" tab select your camera, then highlight the "camera" under "queue" then select "Add Image Event Filter" option in the "Filter Plug-in" select your filter (glow, flare, focus, etc), one you select your effect you must clik on "setup" option, go down and "load" a preset setting and then select a "node source" (in this tab it's where you telling max where the effect it's going to be apply) a list of objets will appear (actually they are all the object in your scene) and then select a light or something else.

Once you are done setting up your effect hit "Execute Sequence" (still inside the Video Post window), there you can render a single frame or a whole animation, and you will see the results, if you want to change the settings double click on the "effect" you want to change and select "setup", remember that you can apply many effects to one object.

2. i tried to add an erco 3d light to my scene but it opens in its own .max file. i tried to export it from there into my scene but had no luck. isn't there a way to just drop it into your scene and render? Try to "merge" the file into your max scene, that's how I do it!!

i attached my first render too for you to see what i mean about my lights not glowing. its not that pretty but i'm new to this stuff. HELP!! not having much luck. :( I can see you have done a good job, you just have to be patient, I have 8 years working with 3d enviroments, my next advice it's to Read, Ask for help, share your knowledge no matter how little o how big it is and the most impotant thing is to PRACTICE, that's the only way you will reach perfection, remember Rome wasn't build in two days!!!

I hope we can keep helping each other in the future and and also I hope this lines help you a little bit!!!

Have a great day Greg!!

Arq. Mario Reyes :cool:

First of all,

Mario, your work is amazing.... Congratulations...

I'm starting now using Vray, and i'm having a problem with the night interiors

here are two images that i did using photometric lights.. in the first the free point light is just like the omni light spreading all over the place, then in the second i turn into a spotlight. just doing this change, the luminosity fall a lot... i'm looking for realistic effects, so i tried using ies files... but it didn't light the room at all...=( so i tried the spotlight and this is wat happen... if i chance the lumens the light wont look real.... does anybody have a clue??

one more thing...

for the white glow under the spot light, how i do that?? a plane with selfillumination material??

Thanks

Fabricio!! Hello, thamks for your comments!!

Try this link http://www.hew.com/catalog.asp?nav=menu here you will find different fixtures with "ies" files and a "Application Photo", in the picture you will see how many lights are necessary for a specific room and you will see that 1 or 2 are not enough, also try to control the light by increasing the power in % instead of lumens, select you light, go to the settings panel and look for the "Intensity/Color/Distribution" section, look for "Intensity" and turn on the "Mulplier" there you can control much better the light by giving an overall increasing.

If you want a "glowing" effect in your lights try Photoshop, go to "Filter" tab, choose "Distort" and then use "Diffuse Glow" this filter will affect white or light areas, also you can apply another filter call "Render" then "Lens Flare" this filter give a dramatic effect to your renders.

It's ok to use "self illumination" material in your lights, I do it all the time, and for the effect of the light in the celling sometimes the Photometric light (depending which one) can give you that, here's a sample of my latest work in a night interior scene.

For me it's easier to use photoshop instead of going with all the process of adding effects from 3d studio as I explain before, ofcourse it's good to know the steps but at the end what you need it's to speed up your work to increase your productivity!!!

Any way, hope I been useful to you Fabricio!!! See ya!!!

Hi there,

thanks for the tips... this is a new image..,. in this case there are a lot of lights.... . but i'm working on it.;;;

the second image i turn of the light of the wall. so i discover that all the others light aren't illuminating at all;;; =/

Thanks

PS Why the first image looks like is there a glob of mirror???? i dont understand that... =/