video encoder

only3d

Hi 2 u all

ive just finished rendering my latest work which is supposed 2 be a walkthru.

some one recommended me 2 comress it with divx mpeg 4 (low motion)

but im very unhappy w the outcome. after working (very) hard 2 get crisp & clear renderings my walkthru is a big blur :(

so what else can i do? (i tried most of the other compressors of viz 4)

besides leaving it uncompressd of course

any suggestion will b welcomed

Tnx in advance

i wouldn't suggest leaving it uncompressed as it'll be gb's in size!

i tend to render out the animation as tiffs and compile then in after effects or premier afterward using the microsoft mpeg 4 v2 codec. it give pretty good image quality, not quite as good as soreenson or similar but much smaller file size.

i've also never come across a pc that can't play it, and i've tested it on my parents machine - 90mhz processer, intel original chip from back in the day! its not even powerful enough to burn a cd!!!!

Well I find 2 things that make an animation high quailty.

1. Render Frames with high Super Sampling or at least troublesome objects in the scene that produce residual effects. (eg. Adaptive Halton - it depends on your scene)

2. Use Mpg 1 - its quality usually quite good, and play mainly in QT/WMP.

try to compress it to wmv, but you can only play it windows media player, or burn it as vcd, or even dvd for better quality. but if you burn it as vcd, be sure to play it on a player, not on your pc, coz' it will pixelate due to 320x240 resolution-vcd output. use 720x480 or higher resolution as original video.

Tnx evrybody and no worries!

i raised the data rate of the compressor to 3000 and it works great

good quality and not so big file.

of course tnx for your advise and i will try your offers

till next time..

p.s.- JAT1000

is sorrenson the best comp' ?

...is sorrenson the best comp' ?

What I can say for sure:

Sorenson (or Discreets Cleaner) can give you a lot of options to make the smallest files (Quicktime, MPEG1/2/4, Windows Media, etc) with the best quality which you can play without extra fees for showing them public.

If you want to show DivX files in public with ANY commercial intention, you need to contact DivX for a commercial license. ANY program that you can buy on their website (DivX, DivXPro or DrDivX) falls under the DivX licensing which you can read here: http://www.divx.com/divx/licensing/ Even if you put a DivX encoded file on a CD, without the player or a LINK to the player, that you want to give to a client, is seen as commercial use.

i couldn't say and it probably wouldn't be right for me to say that any codec is the best.

but from experience i'd say that codec such as sorrenson or cinepak generally give a better image quality but their file size will be higher. Also for people to view the movie they need to have the same codec installed on their machine. compressing with mpeg gives a much smaller file size but the image quality isn't as good. however, like i said earlier i've never come across a machine that can't play this compression type.

ultimately i don't think an average eye could really tell the difference its only when you look at these things continually, as we do in our line of work,that you start noticing the differnce. the average eye also never has both compression types next to each other to compare so they'll never know! Mpeg definately has they advantage one compatibility with is in my opion of greater importance.