New workstation

I am configuring a new workstation since my dual xeon workstation bogged down (for the nth time). this time the xeons will handle the renderings using backburner while the new desktop will be for most office work and modeling, maybe little rendering.

specs:

AMD64 3500+

2 gb RAM

Nvidia 6600

Raid 0 configuration

DVD writer +/-

Windows XP Pro 64bit

I will now be using viz2006 primarily and mentalray and probably maxwell.

Now, will max or viz and other plugins work if I use a a 64bit Xp Pro or should i use the 32bit version?

Which harddrive performs better in terms of speed and reliability?

Seagate SATA 2 or Maxtor SATA's?

any advice will be appreciated since i will be purchasing the workstation. I thought of using a nvidia quadro PCIe but budget wont allow it. :(

that is the same configuration I have except for windows 64 bits.

I read somewhere that you won't find any noticeable improvement in performance between SATA2 and SATA before a couple of years when they change the way hard drives work. mechanical limitations...

I got myself a new workstation:

AMD 64 4000+ (very very fast), 2 gb RAM (which is more that enough), stripping raid, but I installed XP Pro 32bit. I read that max works ok in 64bit, so I guess that viz will work too. About the plug ins, I am not sure whether they will work or not. But I think that XP 64 have not hit the market yet (I think that the beta version testing ended a month ago).

On what concerns hds, I kind of dislike Maxtors (I have lost a couple of them in the past, along with my data!), I use Western Digitals mainly. Actually on the new machine, I use two 36 GB 10.000 rpm SATAs stripped (for system), along with a 200GB SATA for data. It really rocks.

Finally, I got an ATI Fire GL 7100 for about 850€ (I think it is a bit cheaper in the US) and I am reeeeeeeaaaaally content! :D

If you're using 3ds Max, I suggest using Intel CPU instead of AMD's, because 3ds Max and Vray has been optimized for intel CPU (from version 6) and it should be much faster than AMD when using these software. Also there seem to be some problem with AMD's new 64 athlon CPU, lots of tests show when render a image a AMD 64 3000+ is no better than AMD athlon 2500. But if you're using MAYA, AMD seems to be a better choice.

I have 3 AMDs and 2 Intels and I have no problem whatsoever with AMDs. In fact, a 3.4+ AMD64 in a laptop with 512MB renders as quick as a 3.4 Pentium(32 bit) in a desktop with 2GB ram. I haven't read any problems with XP 64 pro, but I suggest you keep an eye on hardware sites.

Now, will max or viz and other plugins work if I use a a 64bit Xp Pro or should i use the 32bit version?

any advice will be appreciated since i will be purchasing the workstation. I thought of using a nvidia quadro PCIe but budget wont allow it. :(

Yes, Max & Vray+Maxwell works on 64bit Xp Pro. :cool: But they run in 32bit : :)

Softquadro is the best way to go if you have limited funds. Quadro's may not be worth it, but that's jst my opinion :)

Yes, Max & Vray+Maxwell works on 64bit Xp Pro. :cool: But they run in 32bit : :)

Softquadro is the best way to go if you have limited funds. Quadro's may not be worth it, but that's jst my opinion :)

I have tried softquadro before but i find it very unstable. Im targetting a low range to midrange quadro.not the high end ones..too expensive.

then i'll go for the 64bit Win xp pro. :D

I have tried softquadro before but i find it very unstable. Im targetting a low range to midrange quadro.not the high end ones..too expensive.

then i'll go for the 64bit Win xp pro. :D

It depends on the gfcard ur using, i have used a quadro fx1100, no hassle to setup but not a big diff in performance from a gfx5900 softquadro to quadro fx3000. So id rather buy a gfx 6800 next time :D

btw, is viz2006 available now in pinas? magkano po? :cool:

It depends on the gfcard ur using, i have used a quadro fx1100, no hassle to setup but not a big diff in performance from a gfx5900 softquadro to quadro fx3000. So id rather buy a gfx 6800 next time :D

btw, is viz2006 available now in pinas? magkano po? :cool:

meron na po viz2006.is cheaper than max.P130K:eek:

btw, did you review in JPT cebu for board together with jangjang, loloy, fatima and many others?

• 3 weeks later...

With your two gigs of RAM the system will perform better if you use two 1 GB DIMMs instead of four 512 sticks. The Athlons will autmatically slow the RAM speed down to 333 mhz (from 400 mhz) if you use more than two sticks. While you may not notice the difference in normal use, it might make a difference in modeling and multitasking.

Plus if you have about $550 to spend you could drop one of the new X2 chips in your MoBo and have the dual Xeon begging for mercy with your render times :D

The Athlons will autmatically slow the RAM speed down to 333 mhz (from 400 mhz) if you use more than two sticks.

the athlon motherboards i have used recently (msi neo4 ultra and lan party nf4 ultra) both say they will run ddr400 ram at 400 mhz if you use single sided chips. if you use double sided they wll slow it down to 333. i have never seen a single sided chip, so they maybe they are making it up.