IDE Drive problems

WD 120 gb special edition/special problem

http://www.aceshardware.com/forum?read=95039056

Nothing worse IMO, than some of the faulty crap you can get in today's crazy, crazy world of tech hardware supplies. Some interesting thoughts about AMD boards and power supplies here:

http://www.aceshardware.com/forum?read=95038841

I feel, that when building a decent AMD system the Antec PSU range is not a bad option. Coupled with the increased power draw from dodgy WDs nowadays, a great psu is only doing oneself a huge favour me thinks. :angecool:

Tell your fav auntie before your next birthday!

WD 120 gb special edition/special problem

Gare,

I'd be careful labeling this as a WD problem. Its just a bad drive. Happens now and then regardless of which company you purchase from, or whether its SCSI, IDE, or Serial ATA.

Heck I've even gotten a bad X15-36LP from Seagate off the get go. It happens. Part of being in the business. Thats why there is warranties :) .

I agree totally, it happens almost in every brand. It is happening more and more nowadays i think, in the realm of motherboards and drives i think. The big give-away was the 3 year warranty being slashed to 1 earlier in the year. But these WDs are special edition 3yr jobbies. :confused:

In anything hardware related the writing is on the wall when you see a 1 year warranty IMO. Look at certain 'consumer' brand Dell laptops etc. What happens if you break a hinge etc? In a world of pain. :mad:

The large capacity drives are definetly the ones giving the most trouble. Ever come across the deathstar problems? IBM, who would have thought with their name for reliability. Producing the fastest ever drive, didn't do much for their reliability image though. :ngelaugh: So IBM decided only to own 30% of the Drive manufacturing end of things now.

My handle Gareth comes from my friend Gareth, who owns a computer business. Once almost 60-70% of his deathstar IBM drives bounced back to him over a christmas selling spree. Most of them being built into xmas systems of course! That incident will live in infamy in the memories of those who worked with him, at the time. Still makes certain employees of his smile at bit, but it was far from being funny at the time. Customers lost big-time. He swore he would never go that route again. Not sure what Hitatchi will do now with 70% of the drive operation.

IBM are going to probably fab most of AMDs stuff from now one, so IBM will concentrate on doing something right. Have you heard today about the shortage of Opteron Boards Greg? People are comparing it to the Athlon launch back in 1999. Mike Magee loves a good scrap with Intel. :ngesmile:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9683

[ May 27, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: garethace ]

Ya those IBM 75GXP's caused a hella of a ruckus.

There is still a class action lawsuit going on over them. Average mean time to faliure was less then 6 months.

I pretty much stick to WD JB's (3 yr jobbies) and seagates (SCSI) for most of the machine's at work. I've had to return a few WD's, but then of course, I've also had to return maxtor's, seagates, fujitsu's, ibm's, and quantums.

Most of the HD failures/problems I see occur around the 5-6 yr mark for the really old drives (under 20 gb), and around 2-4 yr mark for the newer ones.

One thing is for certain, harddrives are less reliable now, then they were a few years ago. Its a shame.

DVDRW anyone?

Like the saying goes, "Noone thought in 1992 that a hard drive the size of a box of cigarettes could hold 120GB worth of information".

But it happened, well it is nearly there - give it another while though. :ngesmile:

Originally posted by Dibbers:

My new machine has just gone through 2 120 GB Seagate Harddrives in 2 weeks. The second lasted 10 minutes before showing the same 'pause and click' problem.

They're fitting a maxtor one in now, to see if that solves my problem.

i was eating through hard drives in a similar fashion. we could not figure out what was going on. we decided maybe i should try moving my small (4" speaker) computer sub cabinet to the other side of my monitor. it was against my computer case. i don't know if this solved the problem, but i have not lost one to click death since then. so much for it being shielded.

note to self.. back up all files tonight because the jynx bug is now looking over your shoulder.