****??money??****

solefishes

hi everyone!

this question is aimed mainly at those 3d people who stay in the London area.. i would like to know how much a person can potentially earn doing 3d work (modeling, texturing, lighting, rendering etc) there. i know it depends on a lot of different things but i would love to hear just an estimation.

thanks very much!

regards,

meghan

• Administrators

When I worked at Smoothe, I was first exposed to the UK salary range for Visualization people and was shocked at how low the pay was. Given the cost of living there, I'd say artists in the UK are making at least 2-3 times less compared to their North American counterparts. Even compared 1:1 without the exchange rate, the cost of items is the same or more, but the pay is about half of what it is here in Canada.

• Administrators
oops! my bad! i guess per annum would make sense eh?! but isn't that still very little?

so Jeff, what is it like in Canada? in pounds, what would you look to be earning?

With exchange you would be earning from 13,000GBP to 44,000GBP, but what you have to consider is that a BIG MAC meal there is 7GBP and it's about 6-7 here for example. The cost of items even on a one to one basis is usually the same or more in the UK, but you make less.

• Administrators
Hey Jeff, what is the industry like in Calgary? Are there many visualization companies there, or are most people doing it freelance?

Scott

There are a couple of firms that do it full time. With our new studio launching (Element2), there are probably 3 in all of Calgary. There are a couple of good freelancers, and in-house people, but for the most part the viz market is still pretty immature here. I'd say 60% of our work is local and the rest is International.

£20k for a fresh faced youngster with little or no experience if you're lucky. The highest paid full-time viz job I've seen advertised recently in London was £35K (+5 years exp). I think that is pretty rare. If it's not I need to talk to my boss...

Judging from experience i reckon 20k for a youngster with a little experience never mind no experience is high for this country. I think the design industry seems to be underpaid greatly in the uk when you consider the prices paid, particularly when you look at the viz industry as people are few and far between when your looking for 3d literate and architecturally aware employees.

Having known people who studied architecture at uni they were never really shown or taught CAD and having studied multimedia and animation at uni i was never allowed to follow the architectural illustration route as it appeared my tutors didn't see it as recognised industry. Everything was always about games design and character animation / design. As far as i'm aware there are no courses which take you into architectural visualisation - giving a degree or qualifications with study of both aspects. Imagine that an architect who understood the process of visualisation!!

I think most people in our field do it because they have a passion for it and can be taken advantage of because of this, although i reckon over the next few years this will change as it becomes more recognised as an industry.

I hope so anyway!!

• Administrators
Jeff

You didn't work for Smoothe very long. What happened, man?

I was there for almost 2 years. In the end it just did not work out and I had an offer to help start another company locally. Working internationally can be a challenge sometimes.