wood floor material 'gift'

I had posted this on CGtalk when someone asked for ideas about wood floors, might as well put it here, as well.

This bit of floor (c4d file, some polys and 1 mat) was a combination of mapping and modeling--no textures--just shaders within Cinema.

The mapping will fall apart if moved even a little. But the texture tag, if applied to a single plane shoud behave nicely. It would need to be rotated 45 degrees using the texture tool for a regular floor.

It is a piece of the floor in this illustration:

LR2qtr.jpg

Mind sharing a bit of your process for creating the image? Particularly about your post-processing method?

It's more of the same. Have you read my earlier posts answering that basic question? Or read my project log from earlier this year? It's all covered in those.

But in a short version--

I take a regular GI raytrace and add noise, play with contrast and saturation. That's it.

Thanks for the kind words, too!

Ernest,

This rendering is sweet. I really like what you do to your images in post-production. If I'm not mistaking, it looks like you apply a reflective material to some of your geometry just to get a reflection pass and then use it as a layer in Photoshop. I've learned tons just by looking at and analyzing your beautiful renderings. Thanks for sharing.

Ernesto

If I'm not mistaking, it looks like you apply a reflective material to some of your geometry just to get a reflection pass and then use it as a layer in Photoshop.

I do. That's because I can. Cinema easily saves layered files, and I love being able to play around with reflections in post. Although, I rarely adjust them by very much, as I've already set the reflectivity to what I want as setup to render.

Nice one! Does c4d do area shadows? Those shadows from the sun stick out to me as being just a little too crisp compared to the rest of the rendering.

Yes! But not this week.

Area shadows are so slow, along with its beautiful 'stochastic' rendering mode. Too slow for production.

Ah, but now I have Maxwell, and....oh. It's slow, too. Nice shadows, though.

Besides, I have always used sharp shadows or sunlight, because that was just what you do. And I think in reality that shadow would still be fairly crisp.