Michelan's ridiculous decision

Victor Erthal

Hi folks, i don't know if there are more formula one fans out there but i guess at least some of you have seen the outrageous race this weekend.

It is a shame that what happened , mainly for the public in indanapolis who paid for a ticket to see a competitive race and all they could watch was a ferrari loooong training session. All because michelan has failed to buid better tires and said there was a "security" issue when actually the word that prety much describes it is incompetence.

funny, i almost went to that race. i'm in detroit so it wasn't that far, but i decided to go home for fathers day instead, with no chance to see the race on tv. no le mans either.

what happened? i heard something about tire issues but that's all. i remember ralf's crash last year...pretty bad. was he on the michelin's last year?

I only saw the first couple laps and couldn't figure what happened. IMO, there's more politics involved than we can imagine. In one hand, you see a "genuine" concern about safety by Michelin. What I couldn't understand is the decision FIA took. Was it so harmful or difficult to change one of the turns in order to make it slower? I just heard on ESPN that Michelin tried to bring new tires, but FIA decided to stick to the rules and didn't let them. Anyway, lame, lame spectacle.

It was a rough weekend for F1 in America. I'm glad I didn't go -- and I'm a Ferrari fan. They should have let the Michelin teams race for no points with the new tires and thrown in the chicane (with 20 minues of extra test time to get the feel of the corner). It pathetic that Michelin didn't have a tire that could handle the track that they've been racing on for 6 years.

I had several tickets offered to my wife and I. But, with our summer travel schedule already booked we didn't want to fly out for a race. Maybe next year?

matt

It would really be weird to change one turn because some teams could'nt get the right grip on it. Formula one is a competition.

But wasn't it even worse, having only 6 cars racing? I heard Michelin asked FIA to create that turn when the other Schummy crashed, warning about the danger there. Question is: are rules or politics more important than safety? Michelin actually offered new and different tires to increase safety, but FIA simply said it was against their rules. Really, really a shame.