nightmare at Epson St

archkre

Printing renders, what a nightmare!

Even the beste render of all times could be a failure in my Epson Stylus Photo700!

I spend more time in Pshop tweaking to get something similar to what I have on screen,than in

3dsmax!

But that's enough, I am going to buy a new printer: which one do you recommend me to have

printed on paper what I see on screen based on price/quality?

thanks

Originally posted by plastic:

make sure you have the right ICM profiles assigned to monitor, scanner and printer.

You can usually get a good monitor profile from the manufacturer. Not only did Sony have profiles for my monitor, they had them in various temperatures. You want to use one at about 6500K, as it most closely resembles paper. At first it seems too warm, but once you get used to it you won't want to go back to the blue 9300K setting.

Then do the usual monitor calibration through Photoshop. You can buy a hardware calibrator for about US$300, but the PS method should do a pretty good job.

The best scanner profile is no scanner profile. How many times do you want to 'profile' an image? Let the scanner do an auto-histogram, if you like, but not any other pixel hacking. That is what photoshop is for.

The Epson 2000P is out of production. The replacement, the 2200 is getting raves, though I haven't seen it personally. I use Epson 3000 and 7000. If (no, when, this is Epson we are talking about) my 3000 dies I would get a 2200. Whatever printer you get, invest in some professionally produced profiles, try www.inkjetmall.com , I use their profiles. These are ICC files that are made by sampling the actual printing of various ink sets on specific papers by specific printers. Then learn soft-proofing in PS 6 or 7.

Now print.

The 2200's look like something out of a SCI FI movie. their all silver and black, and extremely powerful looking. Just the mere presence of one in a studio could enable a 10-25% price hike on all the work you output.

I haven't actually seen one turned on yet, I drooled over it too much to warrant the risk of electrocution.

Very expensive still though, around 700 USD.

Hi all,

Get a good printer (a person, not a machine) at a printshop. Most of the time they got more experience on colorcorrections and schemes, profiles etc. than most advanced ps-users I know about. It's just a way of getting professional help and the possibility to get over-size photographs ;)

rgds

nisus

Here's a inside tip...

If you get a printer, and their pretty cool guys. Find out what beer they like, and buy them a few packs if they do a really good job on your assignment. (Ex: If you were having 5000 pamflets printed). You'll be surprised how far it goes, and even more so, how much more likely they'll be willing to fit you in during an emergency crunch session :) .

Originally posted by nisus:

Get a good printer (a person, not a machine) at a printshop.

I've gone that route in the past. That is why I consider putting over $10,000 into my printers to be a bargain. I'ld put thousands more into my in-house printing capability if I had it to put.

Check the cost of getting professional prints done, and pay attention to turnaround times. Is 'regular' service three days? Is getting it done this afternoon double? Can you be sure that they even CAN do it this aftrenoon? How about at 2:45 AM for that 9AM deadline?

Finally, if a professional print costs $150, and that is an expense your client is obliged to cover, realise that if YOU do the print you can still charge them the $150, as well as get it to them faster, which is a bonus for them.

You can always keep the outside shop as a backup, or for really big prints.

Ernest.

Its all true, but the fact is that its hard charging your client $150 for a print, when your buisness isn't printing. When they get an invoice from the Print shop, they pay it cause thats the print shop they work with, or at least agreed to work with when you took the project.

We tried doing it, and ended up running after clients forever.

Just my experience.

Originally posted by bigcahunak:

its hard charging your client $150 for a print, when your buisness isn't printing.

What is your 'deliverable'? If you promised a file on a disk, then I suppose you can tell the client that getting prints is up to them. No billing, no chasing. But don't be surprised when that client cuts three days off your deadline because their printer NEEDS three days to avoid charging them an extra $150 (sorry for the US numbers, but you know Americans...). So you will have your work or ability to get any sleep compromised by a print shop? I've even told clients that I would pay the extra rush charge. But I found the better way was to be able to tell them that that was BS, because I would print it myself.

But that does mean you get to be in charge of actually doing it, which is an extra hassle...hense the extra cost over your base consumables. It should not be free unless you quoted printed pictures (or in my case, original paintings).

The other problem comes when the client gets prints and calls you up to ask for major revisions because the files printed poorly--this is clearly your fault, by the way. Printing myself means I am in control of the quality of the output.

Either solution is fine, as each has pluses and minuses. You just need to plan for them in advance.

sorry for the US numbers, but you know Americans...
NP. Worldwide, we all quote prices in USD. Problem is we aren't getting paid in that currency... LOL

Either solution is fine, as each has pluses and minuses. You just need to plan for them in advance.
Lets just close it with that.

Cheers.