issue with merge...or XREF

salf

I have a problem with the XREF or IMPORT function on 3ds MAX.

For example, im making a room, and then i want to add some furniture I downloaded from internet, when I XREF those objects into my scene and close the file, and open it again, the XREF objetcs are missing.......why?...i didnt moved the root folder or the files, but for some reason it doesnt show up on the scene, just a lot of "X"s instead of the models.

I think it does the same if i import/merge the furniture instead of XREFering, am i doing something wrong?

I don't have a clue on your problem, but like to add one.

When I merge an object or xref/merge the same object (from a bought collection) the same object enters the scene in two different scales... Any one got a clue on this?

nisus

Have you tried adding the path to the xrefs in customize/configure paths/xrefs?

If it wasn't recorded in there, that might explain why they're not displaying.

mmmmmmmm....not sure what to do there, the default path for XREF is the scenes folder of 3dsmax, dunno what to change or add.

Its pretty strange, in the current scene im working on, Id XREF 2 objetces from 2 files, 1 its a kitchen model and the second its a sofa, i set my objetcs, render, and save and close the file, when i opened it again, when loading the file, 3dmax tells me it cannot find the sofa objects (like if i moved or changed the root folder, but i didnt), funny thing is that the kitchen is there but the sofa isnt (just a bunch of "X's")

So maybe its a problem not with the XREF, but with the file source, i got it from internet, maybe its saved in a way you cannot XREF it (which i dont think) or the way the objects are grouped, dunno......or maybe a scale issue?

The Xs generally mean Max can't find it. If you haven't specified the path in 'configure paths', it's a gamble whether it will find xrefs when reloading a file.

If you go to configure paths, choose the xref tab and add the path to your xrefs, it should work next time you load the file. It's certainly worth giving it a go. It won't delete the path to max/scenes you've already got in there.