block/style parents and getting rid of them

dbarc

Strangely I can't find any reference to block/style parents here or over at CGtalk.

They seem to appear when you import dwgs containing blocks. They are linked to the objects which were in the blocks in autocad but unlike groups etc you can't explode them or get rid of them without also deleting the objects themselves.

They're very irritating, having extents way bigger than your scene whilst doing nothing useful.

Anyone know how to get rid of them?? (without exploding the blocks in autocad and reimporting)

Hi again,

if the links are apparent in the track view, it would show like lines conecting the objects through their hierarchy.

select on the 'unwanted' parent object in the track view, then 'Rclick>select children', then 'Rclick>unlink selected'

All connection lines should be lost then.

Hope it helps, or post the file if U can.

I've given it a try but no joy so far.. I have attached a max file with a couple of example blocks.

It seems different in max to the explanation you gave but I'll be interested to see if you have any luck.

Dan

• 4 years later...
I've given it a try but no joy so far.. I have attached a max file with a couple of example blocks.

It seems different in max to the explanation you gave but I'll be interested to see if you have any luck.

Dan

The solution of vertexARt, works perfect for me, i had the same problem, but solved now, thenks to this thread.

Anyway....

(if the links are apparent in the track view, it would show like lines conecting the objects through their hierarchy.

select on the 'unwanted' parent object in the track view, then 'Rclick>select children', then {'Rclick>unlink selected'}, "insted of this just click on the unlik button on the main toolbar, wich is the 4th button from left to right".

All connection lines should be lost then.)

Hope it work for you.

Fernando

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm looking for an easy answer to this myself. I've got the same issue working with files provided from Revit.

I have only once sucssesfuly deleted them all without causing any conflictions with the model but it took a long time.

Lately I have been grabbing all the block/style parents from the scene and placing them in a seperate layer to isolate them.

They will obviously still have the parent/child hierachy attached but at least they don't clog my scene.