Build my own workstation?

Hi,

I have read the very interesting post "I need a new system" started in mid April.I sure like the savings that putting it all together yourself offers.

I have never put a system together but feel myself to be resonably mechanicaly inclined.

My questions are, should I try it?, Is it hard?, can anyone recommend any help/tutorial type stuff?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Well, you have to start with the first one...

All I can say is that its a lot of fun and satisfaction building your own workstation. It usually ain't cheaper than getting a brand name, or any other preinstalled system. This is because when you shop for parts yourself, you wont go for the cheap parts OEMs usually stick in their system, and for sure you ain't gonna get their prices when they buy thousands of parts. But you will get a much better system thats for sure.

Just browse arround, learn how a machine works and which parts are needed. Maybe even ask for a first time help from an experienced friend or local shop.

Good luck.

go for it. it is actually scary how easy it can be. read benchmarking and testing sites for info on what brand of mobo and chipset to go with, what graphics card, ram, ect... then order the pieces, and pretty much put them together like you would a lego car. present day OS's practically install the drivers for you.

my first sytem i bought a 'barebones' and assembleded the rest. don't do this. they use cheap parts.