applying shaders on seperate faces of object

hi everyone, I'm new to C4D and i'm having so much fun with this programme. i've already did some basic modelling and the rendering engine looks awsome.

HOW CAN I APPLY A SHADER TO ONe SIDE OF AND OBJECT e.g a cube with the sides in wall and the top in tiles...the shader seems to take over the entire object...help on this one.

thankx

NOOXY

you need to sub select the faces you require to be a different material, then give that selection of faces a selection name.

then apply the material that you want the faces to be to the whole object. then double click on the material icon in the object manager and type in the name of your selection in the material's selection box.

you do this for as many different materials on a single object as you require. as long as the object has names face sets and the materials applied correspond to those named sets then you'll be fine :)

then double click on the material icon in the object manager and type in the name of your selection in the material's selection box.

NEVER type anything in! Typing is bad! Especially mine. Once you have made the selection set you name it (OK, that you must type) but then you drag'n'drop it into the slot for the material. Once you do that you need to select something else to see the effect update, it doesn't show up at first.

In case you don't already know this: That materials icon in the Object Manager carries with it the mat plus the mapping type plus the mapping scale/orientation. So if you want to match the mapping from one object to another you duplicate that icon (CONTROL-DRAG on a PC) and put it on another object. You can change the actual material later by drag-drop it over the tag in the OM and that way keep the mapping while switching the material. I do that all the time to swap in and out lowres and highres versions of a material, like an aerial photo put on the groundplane.