vray free interior settings

qwarto

hi guys,

can anyone help me with my simple interior rendering? i'm using vray free for max 6.0 and i can't seem to figure out to brighten my scene. here's my settings. hope somebody can point to me where i missed out this is my 1st try at vray and max. thanks in advance.

Wow at first I would say you had GI turned off, but apparently it is on from looking at your settings.

Try turning the 2nd bounce from .5 to one. And then you could try turning up your environment multiplier from 1 to 2 or 3. Then try playing with color mapping. For interiors I usually do something like HSV Exponential with dark/bright multipliers of 2/2.

You can try lightening up that gray material too.

It does look like there are no GI bounces at all though, so it might be something besides those.

If there's a vray light in the free version, place it in the same dimensions just outside the window and let it shine in with a multiplier setting 10 (invisible, store direct light, uncheck normalize intensity and portal) and pump up the sun to lets say 3 (bit yellow).

In my opinion there's something not okay with the GI within' your renderer. With this settings you should always see some light here and there. Could be that GI is not supported in the freeware or that a DLL is corrupted or your mats do not pick up the GI. Re-install or get help....

Dennis

i'd guess you need to make the cone of the direct light wider as light travels in parallel lines from a direct light. it looks from the screen shots as if the cone is very narrow and isn't going directly through the window, so the light is actually only hit a small spot on the outside of the wall.

hope this makes sense.

change the lights intensity to about 1.5...then after that, go to GI rollout, in the first diffuse bounce change the value to about 3, and the secondary bounces to 1. if the illum is still dark play with the light's intesity and the first diffuse bounce on the GI.

Hi Marlon,

I'm in a vray testing phase myself and did some tests yesterday evening with a pretty similar scene as yours. It's correct, only a direct light and GI turned on is not very effective here, no matter how high you cranck up the intensity. You will need a vray planelight to fill up the room otherwise it just doesn't work out at all. If vray free has lights, lets work this out together and have ourselves some cool standard interior-lighting settings for future times okay?

Dennis

I did use Vray free for a while and used to replace the vraylight with a plane set up in the window or wherever else needed. just put a output map in the materials diffuse mapping slot. Then push the RGB output level up in the output section i think. Also make self illumination 100. This will act the same as a vraylight , with one little problem . It will show up both in the scene and in reflection , problem 1 you can fix by making it invisible to camera( properties) but it will still show in reflections. This method works really well for lighting as you can control lighting level with selfillum. slider or output level.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...