Mental Ray goes 64 bit

http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/press/press_release_details.jsp?itemId=2400002

it says

Press Release -Alias' 64-bit mental ray Standalone Part of Larger Product PlansNow shipping on Linux to provide dramatic performance increases and greater creative freedom

Toronto, Canada - June 24, 2005 As the initial part of its greater 64-bit plan, Alias is shipping mental ray® Standalone 3.4 64-bit, which is fully compatible with the Maya® 6.5 software. The 64-bit software offers faster processing times, and the ability to create and accurately render more complex scenes and images for film, games, broadcast, digital publishing and design visualization.

mental ray Standalone from Alias leverages the expanded capabilities of 64-bit hardware. Rolf Herken, CEO and CTO of mental images, says the additional addressable memory space dramatically improves performance for large scenes. "This can lead to speed improvements of up to two orders of magnitude (100x) over 32-bit machines and absolute execution times in the order of minutes rather than days for global illumination rendering of scenes with several hundred million triangles on dual and quad processor machines with 8GB to 16GB of physical memory. We expect this to finally make virtual cinematography a practical reality."

There seems to be some discussion on the mental ray Threads

That as of The Moment (hopefully This will change soon) That

mental ray does NOT allow dual dual-core cpus

That it only sees or allows just 2x NOT 4x cpus

just repeating what i am reading so This is all That i know

i am hoping There is a max version on The horizon

Randy