ATI Woes

We just got a dell Precision 450 w/ 2 2.4 Xeon's and an ATI FireGL X1 - 128 graphics card. The problem is with 3D Studio Max 5. It seems to crash alot and there are display problems. For one the tool bars leave their image behind when they are moved across the screen. Another is that the wireframe of the model is pixelated like it would look if you zoomed into it in Photoshop. We have tried the latest drivers and they seem to be worse then the older ones. I thought this was a decent card but maybe we should have stuck with Quadro's.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Greg,

Thanks for the response. When I say crash I mean 3DS Max freezes up. Windows seems to be fine as are other programs, but most other programs are not using video hardware acceleration. We have tried the newer firegl drivers but they seem to be worse at least in terms of display problems; i.e. the toolbars leave a trail when moved. I'm thinking there is some video driver setting somewhere that might help, but I can't find it.

Any other ideas?

Kevin

Kevin,

Are you using 3dsmax 5? Or 3dsmax 5.1?

Have you tried an older set of drivers? Perhaps the set that came with the card?

ATI usually posts both the newer, the recommended, and then older sets of drivers.

I'd try one of the older sets, or the one off the shipped cd.

Sounds like its a driver issue, so that should be where your solution lies.