network config

I hope this isn't too far from the intended use of this forum

I have an existing network of one machine with W2K and one with NT4. They share some files, a printer and an internet connection through a router. All connected with cat5.

My new machine is WXPpro, I have attached it to the router. I was able to get the internet connection to share on WXP but can't get file sharing to work. I can ping from WXP and get a respone from W2K and NT4. I cannot ping from W2K or NT4 and get a response from WXP.

I am confused by the connection wizards and all of the help I have tried. Is "map network drive" something I need to do?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edit- I don't have any idea what happened but I went out for some exercise and when I came back, voila, the whole network was there. Weird but kewl. Now back to work.

[ October 07, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: markf ]

Greg,

I'm not sure how it happened but I've got my network set up the way I want it. I was following all of the wizard type stuff in XP and it just wouldn't work. I left for a couple of hours and when I came back, bingo, it was all there.

I have turned off simple file sharing per your suggestion. I don't see any difference initialy.

Thank you as always.

Mark,

Turning simple file sharing off, just enacts the old win2k file sharing systems.

Aka if your trying to set stuff up to share (like a network drive or shared folder), its a heck of a lot easier to do the method you know, then to clunk around in XP help screens.

If its already setup, it won't really do anything :angenone: