Hyper-threading and 3ds max system, conundrum, confusion, Please Help !

:rolleyes: Mr Hess and company

I was directed to this forum through max forums where I was searching for information on hyper threading and 3ds max. I had read some time ago when I casually researching new systems there was a problem with this technology and 3ds max. At that time I had a stable system I loved albeit slow but sound. Alas my poor old p3 550 died in a puff of smoke during a move of office. It is uncanny the range of emotions the slightly acrid smell of a low voltage fire can produce First there is that feeling of.... But, I digress I tried finding that particular article again but to no avail. I thought of posting inquiries as to what the perfect system would be and did I some interesting suggestions but though I alluded to my hyper threading question every one ignored that aspect of my query. I answered my own question partially by visiting Intel’s web site “The following desktop operating systems are not recommended for use with Hyper-Threading Technology. If you are using one of the following desktop operating systems, it is advised that you should disable Hyper-Threading Technology in the system BIOS Set-up program: Microsoft Windows 2000 (all versions)”

My question is three fold

1. I am a die-hard believer in not jumping form one operating system to another. My last system ran windows 2000 pro (NT) and I was planning on sticking with it for a little while longer. I will eventually up grade but for now. If I buy a 3.6 gig chip (more like a 533MHz system bus: 2.40B GHz to start) and a GA-8INXP motherboard am I wasting my money? Am I better off buying last years tech 400mhz system FSB processor speed maxing out at 2.6 gigs and then planing on buying another machine in a years time when I switch to XP? Is my fear of XP ungrounded?

2. I am planning on building my own system (with the help of a very busy IT friend who I will not ask to venture into my mania without first doing my homework) what motherboard would you recommend for a p4 system? Req.usb2, fire wire, agp, intergrated sound, lots of speed.

3. Okay what would you recommend over all? WHY?

I hope that my long windiness hasn’t over played my earnestness. However I have lots of time right now as I am awaiting in the land of the RMA for 3 brand new hard drives to replace the ones that died in the fire (along with several years of memories which you can never back up). Some times these things are for the best and I am glad that technology has come down in price. I have managed to make most of my system transitions fairly painless. The last time I paid this much attention to the computer I was buying it was a P 90 it cost me $4600.00 no printer no burner and the sales guy asked me what the hell I wanted a GIG of hard drive space for. But I do digress.

Thank you very much in advance for your consideration of my ramblings. You came highly recommended. “He’s the dude”

Charles A. Mulder

P.S. If I do not respond to the forum input until the week end do not be alarmed as I am on the edge of overstaying my welcome on this machine.

Originally posted by serious:

Is my fear of XP ungrounded?

Yes, but thats ok. W2K is just fine.

I run 2 identical machines with both OSs; no probs with both.

I'd join Cesar with the dual MP recomendation.

Q: why go with Hyperthreading when at a cheaper price you can get Multithreading. my $0.02.

Good luck,

The rest of the company.

Quick Notes....

1) Windows 2000 professional is fine if you only have a single cpu system. If you decide on a dual xeon, you'll have to upgrade to windows 2000 server, or windows XP, if you want to make use of hyperthreading.

2) As for recommendations, the Dual Athlon MP is possibly the highest performing least expensive solution available...its also considered "Old" now as features go, and is dead in the water in regard to any future investment in the chipset by AMD.

I think they key question should be exactly what you'll be doing with this system. Are you primary a modeler? Can you not do 3d without continuously pressing the render button? Whats your app of choice? Whats your budget?

These questions determine what system is best for you.

haha,

Can you not do 3d without continuously pressing the render button?
That was me when I first stared CG :)

...its also considered "Old" now as features go, and is dead in the water in regard to any future investment in the chipset by AMD.

ok, now I am not as happy about my baby.. j/k so what is hot now? xeon?

That was me when I first stared CG :)

Thats still me :) .

ok, now I am not as happy about my baby.. j/k so what is hot now? xeon?

Tell me about it. I can't even upgrade my A7M266-D to the 2400+ MP's. :( Let me elaborate on "old".

The Dual amd boards don't support....

a) AGP 8x

b) Serial-ATA

c) DC-DDR

d) 333 FSB

[EDIT]

AMD isn't planning to add support for any of these features...in their dual systems, as their banking all their money on their upcoming line of 64 bit processors....

So in response to whats hot, I'd have to say the new Xeons, the possibly final 2600+ MP's, and amd's upcoming Athlon 64 and Opteron chips. There is a rumor of a 333 FSB Dual Motherboard...but nobody has confirmed it. Boy would that be nice though :) .

[/EDIT]

[ January 29, 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Greg Hess ]

• 2 weeks later...