my apartment (with minor upgrades)

hardnozehockey

I figured since I was getting bored with designing furniture for the moment, I'd model my entire apartment with everything in it. Of course there are a few things I don't like about it... so I switched a few things (i.e. wood floor, wall mounted flat screen TV, etc.). This is really just to test my interior lighting skills (or lack thereof). Feel free to comment.

FYI: I've kept Final Gather and GI photon sampling down because this is a pretty complex scene so there are quite a bit of artifacts and unsmoothed shadows and highlights. I will fix all of that for a final rendering (even though there is no such thing as final).[/size]

FYI: I've kept Final Gather and GI photon sampling down because this is a pretty complex scene so there are quite a bit of artifacts and unsmoothed shadows and highlights. I will fix all of that for a final rendering (even though there is no such thing as final).[/font][/size][/color][/size]

What makes this scene complex? It's almost an empty room.

The lighting is looking nice apart from the nuclear TV light (what is that?) and the ambient is a bit dull.

much better camera angle. now with some lighting adjustments you could have a really nice image. with that much brightness coming from outside, the gi on the interior should be much brighter. even without any lights turned on. billion times better comp with this perspective rather than the view from laying on your bed. and lets see some clutter on your shelves. there's no way your that neat-n-titie.

GI is finally working :)

no additional models yet inside. I'm still thinking that the GI should be brighter.

I do have a question though. What do I need to do to smooth the lighting out more?

My settings are:

3 lights are Photometric Target Area (3d max specific) with Raytracing shadows

1 light is Mental Ray Area Spot with Mental Ray Shadow Map shadows

Samples per pixel: Min 1 Max 16

Global Illumination photons per sample: 200

Final Gather samples: 300

Trace Depth: Min 1" Max 30'

Photons per light: 30,000

Energy per light: 100,000

It took way too long to render so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.