Office Standards

ArchitTrav

Our office is currently taking on the arduous task of creating a formal set of Autocad standards. One of the issues that we are debating is whether to formulate our standards based on style based plot styles or color dependant plot stlyes. I was wondering if anyone might have suggestions as which style might be more beneficial. I am curious to know what plot styles other offices might use and why they have chose to do so.

We have been using ADT 2004 for over a year now but we are just now beginning to learn how to use many of its built in features such as scheduling and smart walls. Our hope is to derive a set of standards that will work hand in hand with the given features of ADT. As a final request I was wondering if anyone might be able to direct me towards tutorials or references that deal with creating documentation standards (i.e. layering, file naming, etc.).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Our goal is to conform to AIA standards as closely as possible as an attempt to use a more universal standard, if there is such a thing. We have been using the built-in AIA Standard STB as well as the AIA Second Addition layering standards for the past few months that you have mentioned.

Our major delima at this point comes from a plotting standpoint. We cannot determine which plot style would be best to adopt. This is due to the fact that ADT also has an AIA Standard CTB. The reason I keep bringing up the plot style issue is because we want to resolve this issue before we put forth the effort to formulate a standard layering system as well as other standards.

Well, on the way I understand it seems you're layering system is ok,

except the plot style which bothers you most.

The way we have adopted our plotting style is based from actual manual

drafting before AutoCAD was introduced in our office (10 years back).

We had costumized the plotting style according to pen thickness which

we normally do on technical pens. Different plotting style for each specific

drawing scale. For instance if your doing a master plan which you require

a large scale, your thickiest pen thickness would might as well be 0.5 for

the building perimeters and rest will follow. If you have been into manual

drafting before thru pen & ink medium you might as well adopt that same

method and adopt to autocad (Customized Plotting Style)

Just my Opinion.

Our approach prior to using the AIA standards was very similar to what you have mentioned. The problem was that everyone seemed to translate their drafting techniques or styles into their own customized plot settings. I think our approach at this point is to draw from an existing standard such as AIA in hopes that everyone will have a source to turn to and in turn make the transition to a firm-wide standard less painful for everyone. I do appreciate your comment but I'm am still uncertain which plotting technique is best, color dependant or style dependant?

I've actually set up the CAD Standards for 4 companies now. I've always found it easier to use a .ctb.

I have tried to stay as close to the AIA standards as possible. However there are the occasional layer that we create. We still follow the AIA naming convention though.

As for the colors of the layers, AIA use 256 colors, I only use colors 1-9 and color 30 for my Layer 0. That way it stands out if anything is left there. It also prints really thick. AIA only has 10 lineweights in there plot styles so I figure why use so many colors,your eyes really can't even see the difference between most of them unless they are side by side.

The customization changes that you will need to make for something like this is in your Layer Key Style. This will tell your objects from your tool palettes or catalogs what layer to go to and what color to use.

crw