black dots using scanline/raytrace

Bugga_Guy

Has anyone ever encountered strange black dots when using raytrace? I made sure there is no co-planar faces, - I am just using standard scanline renderer. The black dots flicker and move on the raytraced surface in a animation sequence of frames, it disapears when I turn raytrace off.

The scene uses about 15 rpcs, several speedtree model trees and it is a quite large scene.

I never seen this before, any ideas? I would appreciate any help with this.

i've had that before. cant remember exactly what the cause was. maybe you can try increasing your raytrace depth? do you have lights with negative shadows or shadow values >1? i think either negative or 1.+ shadows cause black spots on reflections. not sure bout speedtree and rpc though.

I've got that one too.

Turns out that one of my textured object is not UVW-mapped. Funny thing is, 3dmax renderer didn't tell me that one of my object are missing UVW map.

I had to check EVERY objects in the scene just to find the culprit.

Regards

HarryG

Thanks for the help, seems there are many different issues that can cause it, however - I think I just figured it out.. I had 4 different types of lens effect glow. When I turned them off no black dots on raytraced surfaces..

Very odd. I guess I have to do the glows in post :o