Backburner

jtiscareno

I am trying to setup backburner on the network that we have here at the office, but I was reading that is for rendering frames for animations...

I have Viz2006 and Vray

I wanted it more to help me with rendering power for ONE image at a time, so does the network rendering help for this or no???

Thanks

You don't need to use backburner, infact you can't, for distributed rendering (rendering one frame using multiple computers) if you look in the rendering dialog, in your vray settings, down near the bottom there is a tab for system, in there ,there is a check box for distributed rendering, it was pretty easy to set up, and workes great, when its rendering it will show each computers IP address on each bucket that computer is rendering.

Oh and you need to start the vrayspawn server on each of the slave computers before using it...

You will have to use backburner for doing animations though, that was not to hard to setup either...

In addition to what Alex said, save your IR map first if youre using IR mapping before sending the scene for split scanline rendering.

Otherwise, every station in your network that renders part of the scene will each compute the IR passes. In case you forget ;)

additionally,

setting up DR on viz isn't as straight forward as on max, additional files need to be added aswell as adjustment to existing files. the vray website doesn't have instructions for setting DR up on viz so you'll have to search a few forums for the answer.

lastly, DR on Viz 2006 seems somewhat flaky, it did work better on Viz2005 but still wasn't 100%. hopefully it'll be adressed in the next release.

James

First of all thanks for all the responses.

OK I was reading that I can use network rendering ONLY with scanline, if using MR I would need to buy X amount of licenses as needed, so is it the same for Vray???

Manta, you said that if using vray I dont need to use backbruner, I need to go to system and use a network, so do I setup the newtwork just like for backburner or can you giude me to some info to setup vray network rendering, thanks! Also what is vrayspawn.exe for???

Sorry guys, I am new to network rendering but I need some help with rendering power "cuz the school that I am doing is one big arse school and each interior image is taking 7-8 hours to render...

Also what is this of saving the IR map, I have read it several times and honestly dont know what it is for or how to use it or save it...help...