Unable to handle...

Buttman

I've been looking at all the excellent work who posted and kudos to them. I see alot of render work filled with so many 3D objects and polygons, but I am unable to achieve that kind of level because my computer kept stalling me to work unless it's a few 3D objects. My computer slow me down when I rotate, zoom in, etc. I feel like I have no freedom to use it. I use ADT 2004. How on earth can you lot can able to work on so effortless on vast amount of 3D objects?

I would say that a large majority of the images you see that have large numbers of poly's in them were done with machines that were adequate to the task. There are of course tricks you can use to reduce the number of faces that are displayed while you are working on the scene so that if you video card is having a hard time you will still be able to work without waiting long periods of time for it to regen the scene. I will also say that no matter how powerful your system is you can and will run into situations where you could always use more power. My best advice is to purchase the best system that you can afford, don't skimp on memory, video card, or processor and don't keep any system longer than 3 years (1.5 is preferable).

I think this is a universal problem. AutoCad in particular has never been great at handling large 3D files.

I use LightWave and one of its great benefits is the way it can cope with huge scenes with very little slowdown.

If the modelling is done in seperate, smaller parts, you shouldn't have a problem until rendering time. Then, set up your camera and lights with just the main objects in the scene and add your entourage to it from there.

You could also consider rendering in passes if this is the problem. Then just comp everything together.

• 3 weeks later...

how about making low-poly versions of the objects you plan to render, use them for positioning, animating, lighting, test-renders and so on, and then when you are satisfied with the results, replace your low-poly temponary objects with the real high-poly objects for the final render.

also, if it doesnt work, you could maybe render the scenes in separate passes?

what program are you using by the way??

edit: ignore my question, i just read the post again :(

ADT does get slowed down a lot when you're doing complicated stuff in 3D. (You'd think that with a $4k software package they'd give you, oh, I don't know, real OpenGL interface, but noooo...) Try downgrading its shader mode. Powerdraft would be nice but it doesn't work with ACAD 2004+.

Or are you using Viz Render? (That comes with ADT 2004, right?) I don't think that works with Maxtreme, and I don't have a 2004 to check this on, but in 2006 you can go into Customize menu -> Preferences -> Viewports tab, and change the Display Driver from software (the default) to OpenGL, which will take better advantage of your Quadro card.