Cool Picker plugin update (v2.01)

Chris Johnson

Hi all

I know I've been sitting on this since Feb, but I have just updated Cool Picker (a 3ds max plugin) to version 2.01.

The big change is the addition of a picker that allows you to pick any color from ANYWHERE on your screen. Using this, you can pick colors from

* webpages

* bitmaps

* windows buttons

* menu bars

* icons

literally anything you can get your cursor over. This new feature can literally pick colors from itself. I thought that was pretty cool. And for those who don't know what a time saver this can be:

Have you ever had to pick a color from an image to get it into a material shader? Usually the process was to

1. save the image to your computer,

2. load it in photoshop,

3. use the eye dropper to sample the color in the image,

4. open up the photoshop color picker,

5. write down the RGB values on a piece of paper!!!!!,

6. then enter the RGB values by hand back into 3ds max.

With the screen picker, now all you have to do is click and your done.

And remember the best part: It's free!

http://www.idigitalhouse.com/tech/dh_tech.html

Chris J.

Along this line, just recently got a cool tip. From either the Image Viewer or the Asset Browser or the Render Window; place the cursor on a color and "right-click". The color gets copied next to the little square on the top bar. You can then click and drag that color to any color swatch, be it diffuse, ambient; etc.

Ismael

Hey Chris-

I definately appreciate the color picker--I downloaded it yesterday and it works great!

My one question for you is...is there any way to incorporate gamma correction in the pick from screen? I've had this problem with other programs as well, trying to match photoshop RGB values to Max RGB values don't work when using Gamma, and it appears that the screen picker has the same problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chad

Hey Chris-

I definately appreciate the color picker--I downloaded it yesterday and it works great!

My one question for you is...is there any way to incorporate gamma correction in the pick from screen? I've had this problem with other programs as well, trying to match photoshop RGB values to Max RGB values don't work when using Gamma, and it appears that the screen picker has the same problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chad

Chad:

Now bear in mind, the original version 1.0 code base was not mine, but someone elses. As far as gamma goes, I know the color picker has some type of gamma code in it, but I honestly don't know what it does. I saw it last year, but I was concentrating on other things so I didn't pay much attention to it. It's something I think that really needs some in depth research on my part.

Any other wishes?

For instance, one of my ideas is to have an option for the color picker to sample 1 pixel or a 2x2 set of pixels, or a 3x3 set of pixels, etc. Sound cool?

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the coolpicker.. it's literally.. REALLY COOL ! :D

I have just downloaded it and check it out, but I am a bit confused as to what version I have got here... I downloaded the http://www.idigitalhouse.com/Tech/FreeStuff/Plugins/coolpick_2_0_3_max6-8.zip

It says it's 2.03 on the zip file, but when I install it and load it to max it says 2.02 in the about box ... so am I getting the right version??

Besides that, I think it's terrific app :) I do wish it gets a manifying glass though... I tried out a lot of color picker apps and most of them have magnifying glass type function built in so you can see exactly the pixel that's under the mouse pointer that you are picking. Just a suggestion...:)

Chad

Yep, I'm guilty of not updating the version info in the about box. In that case the zip file name will tell you what version you downloaded.

However.

Even that is now out of date. As I've finished version 2.0.4. (And I made sure now that I updated the version info :) )

This new version allows the screen samples to be continously updated as you pick your colors from the screen. It's a piece of cake to use. And definately very fun to watch the colors jump around as you move your cursor around.

http://www.idigitalhouse.com/tech/dh_tech.html

Chris J.

Hey Chris!

Great! hehe, I am loving that dynamic update right now... :)

As for the mangifying glass feature.....the reason why I mention is that I still found it hard to find the exact color pixel that I am pointing at. So, I found this nifty app called "Virtual Magnifying Glass", and it's OPENSOURCE!

Maybe you could take a look at their code and integrate into coolpicker? :D

http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/