3D Printing?

RyanSpaulding

One of the guys in my studio just did on, a model of our new building for our department. Got it done by a local shop that has a stereolithography rig and it came out great. (And he said they'll give students big discounts!) It used transparent plastic, which you can have painted if you want - some shops will do that for you. I've also seen some that will give the plastic a color (e.g. tranparent blue plastic) and there are other technologies that make a white or off-white model. Apparently if your model is in Rhino it's very easy to export the right kind of file.

I've done quite a bit, from very small detailed models (.5x3x4 for $50) to very large ones (26x15x28 for $10,000). The cost is all in the volume of the material, detail has almost nothing to do with the price. For architecture I would recommend the Z-corp method. Very fast, and you end up with a nice opaque finished material that almost has a stone like look to it.

For architecture I would recommend the Z-corp method. Very fast, and you end up with a nice opaque finished material that almost has a stone like look to it.

I've been following the advances of Z-corp for a long time. They do seem to have the best tech. Not only do they do nice colored plastic, they can make models like the Beverly Hillbillies, in Living color. At Siggraph they had a booth and some samples to play with (but not steal). They had a working set of entangled gears where three or four gears were each a different color, made as one piece at one time. Note--if you want to get creative people's attention, bring toys. You can get info on service bureaus that have Z-corp machines from Z-corp directly.

• 1 year later...

i had a great talking about it with the guy from http://www.solidexpress.com.

there are 3 technology compiting in this area.

3d printing where the z-corp machines are the best: very good for big pieces and colored, they have grainy surfaces and are quit a little bit gray in their white. the good point it is fast and cheap to do

- than there is stereo-lithography, witch is good for the small pieces, the surfaces are perfect and can be transparent if you want. it is a monochrome process but you can also paint them if you want. this technology is 3 to 5 times more expensive than the 3d printing.

- there is also something called plastic laser-sintering, the surfaces are little more grainy than the 3d printing and is also better for using with big pieces., the plus points are: the pieces are really hard and resistant. they can be used as functional prototype and they are also monochrome but their whiteness are really bright like the architect love. the price is just 20-30 % more expensive then the 3d printing

Voila, hope this was helpful.

• 1 year later...

I am a Technology Associate in a college here in Ireland.

We have a Z510 Zcorp 3d printer setup and a Zcorp Scanner 700, We do a lot of prototyping for education and local industry.

I hope to specialize shortly in Architectural 3D Prototyping and look forward reading about what everyone else has achieved in this area.

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long in replying to this, it's been quite a busy past week here.

We also use ZCorp Z-510 printers and have many photos of our prints. Several are on our website mentioned in the first post.

If anyone would like some close ups of some prints and our finishes let me know and i'll get some up as soon as I can.

Jonathan