FireFox 1.5 is out

Ernest Burden III

For anyone interested, FF1.5 is out, I'm browsing with it now.

No major new features, just an update. Get it at the Mozilla site.

Hey Ernest, do you have any idea if the Firefox plugins or extensions (Adblock, Sessionsaver, Tab extensions etc, etc) will work with the new version or do they have to be re-written for version 1.5?

If not, I'd rather stick with 1.07 for a little while longer until they re-do or update some of those extensions that I really can't live without right now, and which for me make all the difference between IE and Firefox. I

t's a big part of the main reason that I never bothered with the 1.5 Beta to begin with.

It also doesn't freeze up or slow down like IE did for me.

I must admit IE does have the ability to freeze your entire computer in a way I haven't otherwise seen since windows 95.

Strat - I guess it stands to reason that if you were going to write a virus, you'd write it for the most popular system. I don't think we've ever actually had a problem with malicious software through this though but in theory I take your point.

I suppose my main intransigence is down to this: -

Some program or other always wants to use IE so you can't get rid of it. Therefore I'll have 2 programs that do the same thing with 2 histories etc... Which irritates me.

All websites work with IE. Some don't with Firefox (or maybe that isn't the case these days??)

In the end aren't they all much alike in functionality anyway? I pretty much just browse without using favourites etc.. so am just after something that reads websites efficiently and has a back button

I suppose my main intransigence is down to this: -

Some program or other always wants to use IE so you can't get rid of it. Therefore I'll have 2 programs that do the same thing with 2 histories etc... Which irritates me.

All websites work with IE. Some don't with Firefox (or maybe that isn't the case these days??)

There is an extension (read: "plug-in") for Firefox that will let you open up the page you are viewing in IE. Honestly though, it's only come up a couple of times in the last year. Once you finally make the switch to Firefox, if you ever have to use IE you realize what a PITA it is. Everything just seems to work more smoothly, and there is an extension for just about everything you'd want an internet browser to do. It even imports your favorites/bookmarks from IE. Go ahead and download it, give it a try; if you don't like it, just uninstall. Try doing that with IE!

.....All websites work with IE. Some don't with Firefox (or maybe that isn't the case these days??)

In the end aren't they all much alike in functionality anyway? I pretty much just browse without using favourites etc.. so am just after something that reads websites efficiently and has a back button

BIGGEST reason to switch: S-P-Y-W-A-R-E

Firefox is way way way waaaaay less more susceptible to a lot of the most notorious and annoying spywayre invasions than IE is. Even with Antispyware software installed, you still notice a dramatic decrease in the number of spyware and trojans detected whenever you're doing a scan and clean, after you switch. It would seem that part of the reasons that some websites don't work well with Firefox might also be the same reasons that a lot of hackers don't write their crap to run in Firefox.

But like someone else already pointed out, if you really need IE for certain websites, there's an extensions (plugin) that allows Firefox to open an IE tabbed window within itself to view IE-compatible websites. Although in the long run IMHO this isn't likely to be an issue much longer as most webmasters are already beginning to make their websites Firefox-friendly thanks to its growing propularity in the last couple of years.

There is an extension (read: "plug-in") for Firefox that will let you open up the page you are viewing in IE.

View in IE doesn't work with FF1.5 so far - hope they sort that out quickly as it's very handy. the TinyURL extension also doesn't work or FireFTP. Adblock seems to be built in as EB said.

Can't really see any great changes so far (maybe if you have 1Mb+ broadband it's faster, but I've only just got 512KB!), Firefox is just one of those programmes that you don't really notice, as it does what it advertises without fuss and histrionics, like all software should really:;