WIP - Subway

julien coudert

Hi everyone, I started a parralel thread on evermotion.org (http://www.evermotion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11615) but I think cgarchitect is more relevant for what I m doing.

To be quick I want to do an "abstract subway" navigation for a main website navigation, camera will move on different rooms and content will be display on billboards. (see http://www.sonystyle.com.mx/lounge/ )

Here is what I ve done so far :

preview06.jpg

I m quiet pleased with it, I m trying to use a dirtmap pass to get more realistic but after my different tests I think that s useless because of the room settings.

I m still searching a way to blur those reflection on the roof, those are to sharpen.

I used 3dsmax7 with mental ray, I don t use global illumination and final render due to rendering time (I will have to render the animation with my poor computer) but I tryed to fake it using lights (old school way i think)

I ll come later with camera movements preview and before rendering animation I want the scene to be done completly so if you ve got suggestion let me know, of course C&M are welcom!

I really like it, Julien. My only negative reaction was that I didn't immediately have a sense of the scale of the space -- until I noticed the tiny chairs on the right of the frame. The motion might help it read, though I'm not sure what else to suggest. I assume you're not interested in populating this space.

Regardless it's a very attractive design. Can't wait to see the interactive version!

Shaun

I Agree with Shaun - sense of scale is lacking, i thought the subway height was suitable for an upright person, maybe 3m / 3.5m until i read Shaun's post.

The idea from the sonystyle site is awesome, they pulled it off really well. I hope you can too, but i'd imagine they went thro stringent fine tuning of the CG element etc to gain greatest effect. The camera animation will be very important (speed / direction / motion blur / easing in and out / etc) in achieving the same high impact quality. Then you're going to have to be stringent with the animation length / compression to make the site useable.....can't wait to see this progress!

In respect of blurring the reflections - one way may be to render of elements in different passes and the comp then together in AE. You'll be able to add the blur in Post Prod - not sure how precise it'll be but should pass for the effect you need, equally i'm sure it'll be possible direct in MR!

Good Luck

James

Hi guys thx for reply.

Bully712 : Yes I m going to show the rails, it s on the new camera movement preview ;)

Ernest : Yes I m a really fan of the "futuristic mood" of the "cloners" on episod 2, the white space with light eveywhere, amazing atmosphere.

Shaun: thx a lot, yes it s a problem there only chairs that give the scale feeling , I m thinking to insert new elements to fix it, maybe rails help a bit..

jat: It will be quiet the same concept as sonylounge yes, for camera movement I m still working on it, I ve got a problem with that i ll explain later, but sure there will be acceleration deceleration and motion blur ( in post production manualy with AE)

Here is past image adjusting shadows and glow effect (that blurred the roof either very cool) with photoshop:

preview07.jpg

And here is the camera preview:

http://www.juliencoudert.com/metrostation/preview.mov

I ve got a problem with this camera movement, the movement is cool ( very simple but powerfull ) but I don t success to play with acceleration and movement curves, the camera follow a spline and his movement depend on a pourcentage of the spline lenght. The movement line is streight and I want it to be a curve to get the cam accelerating in the beginning and decreasing at the end. Someone know how to had a tangente to a point on the movement window for a "follow ligne" pourcent? (I hope that s clear otherwise I ll make a quick screenshot).

This video (as sonylounge) is one of the "sub" room, I ll do something bigger and more stunning for the "main" room know that I know I can handle it.

See you guys later with news, see u!

Very nice, Julien. To add acceleration/deceleration curves, open up the Curve Editor (in the standard right-click quad or the Graph Editors menu) and add an Ease Curve (under the Curves menu in the editor) to the Percent value under Path Constraint. You can then add bezier nodes to adjust the camera speed.

Shaun

~Hi guys!

I made several changings on the project, I ve made the main metrostation that is another bigger room, it s mainly done and the same goes for the cameras movement, let me show you:

camera01

camera02

camera03

I m rendering high res quality images to show you details. It take me about 1,2 hours to render an image in 700*400 res with 1/16, 4 rendering quality. I ve got about 150 images to render ..let me think.....about 150/300 hours to render videos hu... hopefully I ve got 2 holidays weeks that my computer can turn during those time.

I ll give you more soon, see u guys!

Julien, I think your second and third cameras may be a wee bit too fast -- I had to play them over a couple of times to understand what was going on, and presumably this will not be something you want your web visitors to have to do.

Looking very cool. Can't wait to see the tests!

Shaun