ADT 2006 versus Acad 2006

piotrgreg

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase Acad 2006 but the reseller offered to me ADT 2006 for a kind of a bonus price

my question is: is ADT 2006 superior than acad 2006 ? is there any diiference of use for someone used to work with acad?

2nd question: what is "revit"?

of course I can find some answers studying www but what r friends for?:)

ADT is an Architectural package that sits on top of AutoCAD and customises AutoCAD function into Architectural functions (i.e. Walls roofs etc)and come with libraries of blocks that can be inserted (i.e. doors, windows stairs etc) by buying ADT you will have all the functions AutoCAD and the 3D Architectural package which is the future.

Revit is another Architectural package owned by Autodesk but which will survive in the long run!!!!!

Hope this helps

Bob Morgan

Depends on how you like to work on your drawing. Some people (like me)prefers working from the start using ACAD 2006 without any customising. You can make your own blocks libraries,adjust accordingly to the design,you do not have to draw some things that do not need to be drawn (file size consideration). On the other hand, ADT 2006 draws it for you. You need to key in accurate specs like dimensions, thickness and file size is high since all the elements will be drawn in, e.g. ballustrates,window sills which you may not see in a 3D presentation. So, in all, depends on how you like to draw..

ADT is superiore to Autocad in a lot of ways in 2D Drawing it has the Detail manager with lots of nifty tools like trim for blocks or obscure and so on

it is also 3d Tools like Archicad but not as good .

you should als consider you will get later a bonus if you like to upgrate to REVIT

wich is as good or better as Archicad.

you can load ADT as pure Autocad but you can run it also together ADT+Autocad in the same Layout.

if you have the Money go for it.

seeya

Personally I think there is no comparison, there is no reason not to use ADT over AutoCAD. Using plain Acad is like working with one arm tied behind your back, not only does ADT have the items people have mentioned already, it's tables, camera perspectives, snap shots, etc. go far beyond what Acad has to offer. And like said before you can use it just as AutoCAD if you like to handicap yourself. 3D or 2D its tools far surpass what Acad has to offer. Of course each to his own but I felt compelled to offer my opinion.

thx,

Russell - I definitely do not deny, after studying all Y comments, ADT can offer to me more and would be shame not to get accustomed to some of its new features;

my hesitation was rather a kind of "compability" reason with my co-operators, linking with max, changing files etc...

all Y answers suggest that there is no problem, am I right?

and REVIT - is it powerful, world-wide tool or Autodesk experiment...?

well i am sure they would not agree..

but i would doubt that most of them never gave ADT a chance..

Revit, is basically launch pad program to get users in orbit with BIM

it is hard to motivate people to do that with ADT... simply because its use is not strong with BIM even tho that potenial is there.... its hard to look at the same and UI and then have someone tell you ok we are going to do things very different right now.. With Revit, you are committed to do that...

whether Revit can out do ADT with BIM is a borderline issue.

i am not against Revit but it is over rated..

cgarchitect also has a Revit forum..

Revit basically cannot do anymore than ADT in fact it is limiting...

i am not against Revit but it is over rated..

That's one of the funniest things I have heard! Revit cannot do anymore than ADT??? Nothing more but guarantee a fully coordinated set of doucments, out of the box. I would LOVE to hear how you think Revit is 'limiting'.

there are very large firms also who use just ADT and do the same things

also, just because large firms use Revit doesn't mean its some ultimate thing for us all to worship.

Revit doesn't have ucs or layers, not that it needs it..

also, it has its own format, not generic like dwg..

just a few items anyway.

ADT can do full document also...

like i say Revit was designed to get people into BIM

it limits people who want to hang on to the ortho world...

but you don't have to have Revit to do that

sorry for interrupting, 1 stupid question -

- Raymond: what's BIM ?

by the way - big companies are the very preferred client to software market resellers and, therefore, they r often charged a part if ever; right at the moment everybody can notice the race: if u have Archicad - Autodesk sells You Autocad ( full) +Revit+Accurender for 1500 USD, at least in Poland...

BIM "Building Information Model"

I agree, i am trying to do some research on ADT/Revit issue

looks like it is greatly misunderstood and opinioned without looking into it..

I am lacking specific info on this also..

here is one site that was interesting

http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/autocad/select/adesk_revit/faqs.htm

I think also, the main issue to get into BIM, choice of software to do it is

secondary... everyone has their sacred cows on this.. me being one..

the thinking i see with Revit is when people get they know that now they have to into model mode.. which they should anyway..