interior scenes

zane

you can use anything for interior, exterior, character modelling etc. The really important factor is how well you use the software. Most people here seem to use 3ds max, but pretty much any 3d package is capable of modelling interiors, since they are not very complicated scenes (little or no animation, fairly straightforward texturing and modelling)

If you havent bought any 3d software yet I would recommend 3ds max, but thats mostly because i've had little experience of rhino, lightwave, C4D etc.

Another important thing to consider is the amount of support and tutorials that are about. Again i would recommend using 3ds max, as most 3d tutorials are written for max or maya (although the basic principles remain similar with all 3d packages)

Also be prepared to work long and hard to get nice looking results... 3d rendering isnt as easy as it looks!

Also be prepared to work long and hard to get nice looking results... 3d rendering isnt as easy as it looks!

Can I get an amen?! Hehe. Seriously though, max works pretty cleanly with AutoCAD which means you can model your interiors off the CAD plans with few headaches.

Shaun

Hi Onissa,

A long, long, long time ago i've started on datacad and used to render scenes in vue as that was the only thing i could afford. I loved it! It was so simple and intuitive to use that one could not help but fall in love with 3d.. Times moved on and software got more sophisticated and now i need to read a manual and hate it every step of the way...lol... still try and experiment and see what happens... I believe it is the only way to learn... Now we are on max and it does work for us as it has nice modelling features and the lighting (once you figure it out) is awesome provided you invest into some third party plugin such as brazil, vray, maxwell(still not convinced) or final render. At one stage we were rendering loads in mental ray although we found that learning curve for it was rather steep... Anyway, plenty out there to choose from providing one is willing to invest some money into right sofware and hardware... Hope that helps...

Rhino is nice but the Flamingo renderer... well, I shouldn't say it's bad because I don't know it well but I've never been impressed with what I've seen. Now that they're going to have VRay for Rhino that should improve things.

I agree that a lot of it is about how you think and work, how well you know the package and what exactly you want to do. E.g., I just did a school project where I had 12 different shots involving things like an anthropormorphized house that hops and dances (with disco lights) and there are a bunch of IK-rigged beer bottles and iPods involved, which most people here will probably never have to do but I assure you C4D is an excellent choice for it and since everything in it has a pretty consistent way of working that makes sense for the way I think, it makes it very easy for me to quickly figure out how to do things that are new to me.

but if u start wiv vis, u might find ur self regretting it later on, when u want to learn animation, or character rigging. in my opinion u shud get a prog that does all sides of 3d, especailly as u r just starting out. that way u can have a go at every thing, and decide which (if any) area u want to concentrate on more. my first prog i used (when i was 16) was truespace 3! this did alsorts, and got me into the 3d scene. jus keep ur options open.

but if u start wiv vis, u might find ur self regretting it later on, when u want to learn animation, or character rigging. in my opinion u shud get a prog that does all sides of 3d, especailly as u r just starting out. that way u can have a go at every thing, and decide which (if any) area u want to concentrate on more. my first prog i used (when i was 16) was truespace 3! this did alsorts, and got me into the 3d scene. jus keep ur options open.

Dean, do u send a lot of txt messages? :D