fillet in max

Guest nazcaLine

Guest nazcaLine

when i modeled 3d in autocad, there was an extremely useful tool: 3dfillet, since much of the objects we see in reality have some fillet.

when i model in editable poly in max (extremely useful too), i don't get this option anywhere. i was modeling a robot in max with editable poly and wanted to fillet it everywhere for it to look realistic, and i couldn't.

how can i fillet 3d in max???? :confused:

please help!!!!!!

You can achieve something similar however it is alittle bit tricky. What you have to do is convert your object to an editable poly - then under selection click on the the edges you want to "fillet". once selected click on the Chamfer box, the more chamfering you put the rounded the edge will get.

Guest nazcaLine
Top three most often reqested tips in Max:

1. How do I make good glass

2. How do I make good grass

3. How can I fillet edges

I've been clamoring for a better fillet solution since VERSION 1! I can't be the only one who is annoyed by the crude "fillet" in max.

that's why i started this thread!!!

you're not alone!!!

Top three most often reqested tips in Max:

1. How do I make good glass

2. How do I make good grass

3. How can I fillet edges

I've been clamoring for a better fillet solution since VERSION 1! I can't be the only one who is annoyed by the crude "fillet" in max.

I think this is one of the single most bizzarrely puzzling and mind-numbingly annoying omissions on a program such as MAX. You'd think that a fillet tool would be a no-brainer for a high-end modeller. Heck, even AutoCAD has filleting.

So guys in Epoly there is a tricky way to do a fillet, so actualy there won't be any fillet but while rendering U will see it, it is just using smoothing groups and applying Epoly-Extrude to Edge. I'll try to find link so u ould clearly understand me...

Sorry, but I couldn't find the link, so attaching the *.max(version 7.5) file. It include 4 cubes, all of them are Epoly:

1 - just a cube

2 - cube after selecting all edges and applying Epoly-Edge-Extrude with zero height.

3 - the second one but added more Epoly-Edge-Extrude

4 - the second one but added Epoly-Edge-Chamfer for outer edges

I don't know about maya or softimage, but lightwave and form-z both have filleting capabilities.

Lightwave does NOT have filleting on complex booleaned objects. FormZ does !!! There is a plugin called "Rounder" for LW that does a good job, but does not touch FormZ's rounding or NPowersoftware's Powertools !!! I'm still trying to find the time to test the Npowersoftware to see what they offer me over FormZ...

There is a plugin called "Rounder" for LW that does a good job,

My bad then, I don't have much first hand experience with LW and I must have seen it done with this plugin.

Just for everyone's info I happen to know that Autodesk was in negotiations with NPower to buy them and incorporate the technology in Max8 but the deal ended up falling through. Pity.

Guest nazcaLine

look, here's the robot i was making in max, editable poly only.

it's quite fast, but since no fillet found, i just had to do a simple chamfer.:(

i bet with 3d fillet it'd look much better.

rendered with mental ray.

Sorry, but I couldn't find the link, so attaching the *.max(version 7.5) file. It include 4 cubes, all of them are Epoly:

1 - just a cube

2 - cube after selecting all edges and applying Epoly-Edge-Extrude with zero height.

I like that effect but is there a step missing? If I make another cube, convert to editable poly, select all edges and extrude with height 0 and small base width, I get some new subdivs on the surfaces but it renders as a normal cube. How did you get the smoothing?

I like that effect but is there a step missing? If I make another cube, convert to editable poly, select all edges and extrude with height 0 and small base width, I get some new subdivs on the surfaces but it renders as a normal cube. How did you get the smoothing?

Just go to Epoly-Polygons and see there Smothing Groups. So there should be only one group for all polygons. But it is only for that case.

Try to experiment with smoothing groups on more complex models to understand.

look, here's the robot i was making in max, editable poly only.

it's quite fast, but since no fillet found, i just had to do a simple chamfer.:(

i bet with 3d fillet it'd look much better.

rendered with mental ray.

If u want u could attach your model here and I will experiment with it and show the result?