Unable to save big renders...

ottoatom

I'm loosing my temper here... Max seems to be unable to save images as big as 3000x2250... The scene is rendered but the image is not saved.. I tried to save it in the vray frame buffer window, same thing happens... What am I doing wrong?? Also, the ideal render was a 4000x3000 but I got an error each time I tryed to render the scene.. what can I do?

cheers!

Max does not have a limitation. VRay shouldn't. Do you have enough drive space? Have you tried saving to a different location, or as a JPEG with a lot of compression?

You can also try using Network Rendering, and the Split Scanlines option to render strips which are then re-assembled automatically. If it fails, you always have the strips.

- Jenni

tx for the replies..

When I try to render it at 4k x 3k res it just shuts down.. When I render it at 3k x 2250, it didnt't save at all in the hard drive and through vray FB it doesn't save it either... If I render just with max FB, how do I save the Alpha channel?

My client is asking me a 2m by 3m billboard at 200 dpi :rolleyes: ... Is it me? or is he lunatic? that gives me a 16k by 24k pixels render!!!!! ... besides it being a really huge render to do in a normaly geared personal computer, It would take me forever to render... so I would like to render it at 5k by 4k but max crashes at that res.. I have to put it at 3k by 2250 for max to actually render it without crashing, and even that way it does not save it... any advice guys? oh and my client wants it for yesterday... :(

had this problem a few yrs ago.

1. I've found, as you have, that once you start rendering above 4000x3000 pixels max starts struggling

2. solution: switch and experiment with different file output formats. ...as i recall jpeg output at hi-res caused the system to repeatedly lock-up, whereas the same file size exported as tga was fine! ...u just gotta experiment.

3. why are you doing such large renders anyway? ...early in a job i'll try to persuade the client that 2560x1920 pixels is best coz it prints out onto A3 at 300dpi (approx!) and most seem to accept this. ...I've never had it challenged so far.

anyway, hope this helps your situation

In my experience you dont need files bigger than 3000x2000 @300dpi why? :

for a letter print on photo paper yor printer will print at 1200x1200dpi with above resolution is just fine, same for tabloid size wich a printer just can print at 600x600dpi (double size than letter but half the resolution so if the above output file works in letter will be fine for tabloid).

for billboards or huge ads on exteriors the same issue: plotters that print those sizes only handle a 300dpi resolution for saving ink, yes the printing resolution is awful but only if you see it closely (remember the bigger size the far the client will stand to see it) normally for a exterior billboard the resolution you handle is about 120dpi as much, so you can scale yor 300dpi render to a 120dpi image with good results.

Id prints lots of bilboards and when im going on the road, i look them at 30 or 50 feet and just look great and with good resolution.