Architectural Modelling and Rendering

Nats

It seems from reading these posts that there are two ways to convert a 2d AutoCAD drawing into a 3d model:

1. Convert the 2d model into 3d within Autocad, export it as a 3ds model into 3dstudio max and texture and render the 3d faces there.

2. Import the 2d cad plans and elevations into 3d studio max and convert them into 3d model by extruding etc.

However from what I see (and Im pretty new to 3ds max myself but not to AutoCAD 2d drawing) that it seems to be quite difficult to accurately draw (to the nearest mm etc) in 3ds max in the same way that you can in AutoCAD. But at the same time rendering an AutoCAD generated model in 3ds max sounds like it can be time consuming in terms of correcting unclosed shapes and correcting the normals.

I am trying to get into serious 3d architectural modelling with a view to doing it for a full time job at some point. I really want to be creating accurate photorealistic renderings from 2d plans given to me by an architectural firm. So in people's view here what is the best way to do it? I like the idea of doing everything in 3ds max but can you draw relatively accurately?

And then the second question is related to design changes, which are inevitable in most jobs. Which way do you find makes it easier to change a 3d model once it has been created if all you are given is a few newly updated 2d drawings? Would it be easier to change your own AutoCAD 3d model any then have to reimport it and render it anew, or to import the new 2d plans into 3ds max and then try to decipher what has changed and alter your 3dstudio max model wholly in there?

I cant find any decent tutorials on this kind of thing and its basic to the way I choose to go in the future - at the moment Im learning 3ds max modelling in depth but should I perhaps be learning AutoCAD 3d modelling instead!??

Cheers for any help, I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who is working in this field as a professional at the moment.

Nats

Nats:

Here at the office we have learned that every project...specially dealing wth architects, goes though a lot of changes...

We dont use Max, but Viz instead...and theres a nifty tool thats called file-link manager, and this is the way we do our work:

We get autocad plans from client,model in Autocad, file link the to Viz, and if anything changes in the autocad model, just hit reload, and the model updates in viz, but you keep your materials, mapping, illumination, etc.....

hope this helps.

well....it depends...I usually let them make 2 or 3 changes at an early stage of modelling, and when we are at low res tests...(with no cost), but if there are any changes after the full-res images are done and the post work is finished, I will charge them, depending on how many changes there will be....

Nats:

Here at the office we have learned that every project...specially dealing wth architects, goes though a lot of changes...

We dont use Max, but Viz instead...and theres a nifty tool thats called file-link manager, and this is the way we do our work:

We get autocad plans from client,model in Autocad, file link the to Viz, and if anything changes in the autocad model, just hit reload, and the model updates in viz, but you keep your materials, mapping, illumination, etc.....

hope this helps.

Ditto, except it's all in-house, so the changes are many and often :rolleyes:

if it weren't for file-linking I think I would go postal. ;)

Nats

here at work i model in autocad solids and Then filelink into VIZ

i am still making changes To a 100 acre project That was designed

more Than a year ago, still making changes in 2d and Then 3d

There are advantages and disadvantages To either Technique

personally i am more familiar with autocad, 35,000 hours so far

i got a Ton of autolisp routines for 3d work

what kind of work are you doing? commercial, residential?

i filelink ONE file into VIZ, but save The daily autocad changes

To individual files with a daily date Timestamp, filenames like

0710 bldg only 060119 00.dwg

but The file link is

0710 bldg only 0000.dwg

etc for The site

This way i can make as many variations as i need To

and The filelink filename into VIZ is always The same name

just one Technique among others

Thanks

Randy

This has come up many, many times before. I'd say the crew here is split about in half. Some model in Acad and file link to viz/max. Others (like me) Do all the modeling in max. For renderings I don't need things down to 1 mm accuracy, even photo-real stuff, and I'm far more comfortable modeling in max. I think that's what it comes down to. What your comfortable with, and if you come from a strong CAD background, modeling in acad may be the way to go for you.

• 6 years later...

Forget about edit mesh, is obsolete. It has no avantage. Definitely use edit poly.

The point about modelling is that you must use the software that you like, or you find comfortable, fast, etc. There is no best one. You can use even sketchup. Althought, remember that importing and exporting models results in lost information always.