VRay Interior & Exterior Lighting Settings ???

IUI Design

Hi everyone,

As I newbie to VRay, I've been going thru the Aversis.be tutorials which were fine untill I tried lighting a room with VRay Lights.

I've had a look at all the internet tutorials but need one have conveys a lighting set-up for a medium size room with furniture.

Im using VRay 1.46.15

PS. While I'm here, can someone tell me how I can convert my existing materials in Max into VRay ones??

Thanks again.

Ifty

Vray pretty much works correctly with standard materials, so a lot of the time you don't need to convert those, but if you've been using the architectural library you'll need to do new materials with bumps, speculars, reflections, refractions. The "shininess" value needs to be dealt with using reflection and glossiness.

(I don't like the architectural materials - seemed like a good idea at the time, and then I started using renderers other than Scanline and it screwed everything up - and they could have done the materials just as well in standard shaders.)

Edit: Forgot about your original question :)

Look at this: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/VRayHelp150beta/tutorials_interior.htm

Thank for the replys for far, but...

I've tried the spot3d tutorial and found the instructions troublesome, possibly because I'm using VRay 1.46.15

I've read that VRay Lights produce ray-traced shadows, thats why the rendering times are so loooong! but is this still correct if you have VRay lights set up with VRay SHADOWS ????

Ifty

for the lighting set up-

try a large vray light just outside your window, and the same size as your window. One for each window if there are more than one. Make sure the arrow is pointing into the room. This is kind of the fill light for the room.

Then create a spot and position to represent the sun. This light will create shadows from window frames.

You'll need to knock the intensity of the lights down the more you have in your scene.

Also in the environment tab of the vray render dialog. tick the environment over ride box and make the colour a mid grey. this will lighten all the shadows and ambiant light.

also note TommyL's comments regarding render time

Thank for the replys for far, but...

I've tried the spot3d tutorial and found the instructions troublesome, possibly because I'm using VRay 1.46.15

I've read that VRay Lights produce ray-traced shadows, thats why the rendering times are so loooong! but is this still correct if you have VRay lights set up with VRay SHADOWS ????

Ifty

Raytrace shadows is what Vray does the fastest. In fact all pure raytracing is what Vray does the fastest. What slows down the shadows on Vray lights are the area shadows. That is slow with any Raytracer, and in comparison, Vray is fast. There are options to speed it up if you bake them into the Irradiance maps.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the above comments...

I have a further few queries:

1>> In the spot3d/flipside tutorial, half way down it says:

"3.2. Go to the Material Edtior and put the default VRayMtl in one of the slots (it shows up as being used in the "Environment" in the Material/Maps browser)."

What does this MEAN ??? A clearer explanation would be much appreciated!

2>> I down loaded a max file of a rendered room and liked the colors on the floor, so I thought about using this on a future project - The problen is that the floor colour is a Grey and when I look in the Max Material slots there are 4 Greys!!! How do I find out which one has been used on the floor ???

3>> I've attached a max file of a rendered room (all white with 4 VRay lights - one at each window). The thing is, it took 20 minutes to render at 480x600! I'm using Max 8 + VRay 1.46.15

If possible, can someone open the max file attached and look at my VRay settings and see whats the best way to optimise the settings to render QUICKER!! and I seem to have 2 sploches on the ceiling - Can anyone recommend how to correct this.

Eventually, my aim is to render the room corrently with materials before I go on to render the room objects in seperate max files and then finally merge them with the room.

ALL HELP APPRECIATED, Thanks again everyone!

Ifty

PS. While I'm here, can someone tell me how I can convert my existing materials in Max into VRay ones??

Thanks again.

Ifty

There's a Vray Utility Maxscript which converts all the standard materials and raytraced shadows to Vray Materials and Shadows. (Vray SceneConverter appears on the shortcut Quad Menu)

Vray Materials are pretty faster to render than Standard Mats. You could use combination of both standard and vray mat to balance the speed and quality.

Attached the script..remove the .txt extension.

Hi Guys,

This was I first dabble with VRay (see image/file attached previously).

I'm happy to say that after tweeking some of the VRay settings (primarily the QMC Settings - I've been able to lower the render time from 10 to 8 to 5 mins for test render purposes.

My aims are to be able understand VRay enough so that I can do test & final renders when the time comes............there no point 'arsing' around for ages for test renders, is there now?!?

Ifty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Then create a spot and position to represent the sun. This light will create shadows from window frames.

Hi David,

How R U doing???

I read your posting and I got understood every thing except the spot which is representing the sun for shadow. Can You pls explain it in to me if possible pls.

Thanks,