Which mouse?

Hey guys!

Im after a new mouse for use with Max etc and just wondered if you guys had any recomendations for a really good mouse that's comfortable to use? I had a Microsoft mouse back home that was quite chunky that I liked but I left it in the UK when I moved.

Any suggestions would be great :)

Craig

I love my Intellimouse Explorer 3. I'll be looking soon, too, as those slider stubs on the bottom are wearing out.

BUT I HATE the new ones! The scroller barely works and is very hard to press down. With Max, this is a HUGE deal, as you use the scroller all the time. It would work about 60% of the time as it should, most of the time I'd try to pan and have to do it 2-3 times to get it to work.

I tried it on 2 machines with 2 different mouses, both brand new, out of the box, so I am 100% it was the mouse.

Ergonomics are better than Logitech, imho, but I'll buy a Logitech next time, at least until MS fixes that damn button.

BUT I HATE the new ones! The scroller barely works and is very hard to press down. With Max, this is a HUGE deal, as you use the scroller all the time.

Yeah I noticed that aswell... complete pain in the ass because the one on my old microsoft mouse was perfect but they dont seem to sell them any more.

BUT I HATE the new ones! The scroller barely works and is very hard to press down.

Exactly!

I gave them (MS) two chances by now and kept going back to my old simple Logitech. I still have this last MS one I bought new in the plastic bag for almost a year now. Its simply a pain to scroll or pan.

After buying a new Intellimouse Explorer early last year, I learned it was a useless mouse for Digital Content creation, which surprised me, as I had always expected Microsoft mice to be okay for that purpose.

I think, what annoyed me the most was that Microsoft 'imposed' this particular middle mouse button across all of their product range - of 'high-end' mice that is.

At the time, I was fuming, and I don't think that Microsoft 'get it' still, as far as mouse design goes.

http://aceshardware.com/forums/read_post.jsp?id=115076558&forumid=1

I was recommended razor mice by some posters here:

http://www.aceshardware.com/forums/read_post.jsp?id=115152310&forumid=1

So I purchased a Razor Copperback, and wow! it is one exceptional piece of hardware engineering.

Unfortunately, the thumb buttons aren't strategically placed like the MX500 or MX518, so I scraped the whole Razor project very quickly. The middle mouse button on the Razor Copperback is nowhere near as accessible as it is on the Logitechs either.

I have bought an MX518 now, which has the same shape and feel of the MX500 I use at work. Except the MX518 has far better optical technology built in, which speeds up the work a lot. At least the MX518 has what you need in a DCC mouse - a middle mouse button, without that rocker switch business, which makes real time pan hard to do. The MX518 also has two thumb buttons, so in AutoCAD I have access to snap on/off and ortho on/off. Without types of features, you are going nowhere with a mouse design for DCC. Unless you happen to use photoshop and don't need thumb buttons and press-able roller wheels at all.

However, the MX500 has worked well for me using the older Mouseware (now replaced by Set Point drivers) drivers for a good year, and I will continue to some use out of my MX500 for a long while to come. I just feel comfortable in the knowledge that the MX518 is there to step into its place, when the time finally comes.

Thing's are going great here buddy, loving working for Designstor and Toronto is great. There's loads of really friendly people here, good food and great nightlife... i'm a happy chappy :)

How's life back in the burgh?

Craig

Glad its going well :)

Same old same old here. Live it up mate.

Come back when you think you should.

Logitech.

Their acceleration method alone, found in the logitch mouse drivers, are enough reason to buy their mice. They use some kind of non-linear acceleration based on speed, and it works like no other. It's so simple, but it makes a huge difference when you get used to it. It allows you to navigate with ultra precision at low speeds, and whoosh to the other end of a 20"+ monitor with the quick flick of the wrist. I've been addicted to them for over a decade.

They also make consistently great hardware.

• 4 weeks later...