vray, hdri and background

xeunox

i want to render a image, i would like to have the environment reflect from my building's windows but i do not want the evironment map to render with the image as a background, i can't find render elements with vray... any suggestions?

put the map to reflected in the windows in either the override max environment slot in the vray render panel - Environment, or place it in the environment slot under the material's maps section.

unless i'm mistaken, you need to have a map present in max's environmet panel (f8) for it to be rendered. if you do already turn it off.

James

Put the HDRI in the Vray: Environment and select override Max's. Now you can place whatever you want for background in the Max Environment and will not be seen by your windows. Also you can place it in the Vray material Environment.

Ismael

...a very old trick of the amiga time and sculpt3D:

make a tube, a very big tube all arround your scene. map it with a wide map

worked in pshop before to include all the pictures of your scenery.

right click on the tube, untip the "visible to camera, receive and project shadows"...

works well with practice, you can control better the reflection, moving the maping coords or the tube...

My favorite method is to use the sphere technique.

I map the hdr on the sphere, so you can play with the uvw gizmo to get the reflections exactly where you want them. You can also stretch the gizmo,( it is way harder when your map is in environment) I just select the sphere and set to not visible to camera in the object propreties (right click>propreties)

Lazy and efficient