Please Help Reduce Noise and Artifacts

ctk111

This wip is my first attempt at vray. I was hoping someone could take a look at my settings and let me know what I can try to reduce the noise and artifacts in my scene. Try to ignore the flipped normals. I’ve been working on learning vray and am too fixated on this lighting setup to mess with those.

In the first scene I have reflectance and rglossiness set to 100 on all of the materials. Although, every real world material has different reflectance values, so I’m sure these values should be adjusted depending on the material, right? On the second scene I reduced the reflectance and rglossiness values on my floor material which seemed to help a bit, but the noise is still there and I’m not sure if this was the correct way to reduce the noise in the scene. I’m using max 8 and vray 1.47.

Adaptive QMC 1,4

Mitchell-Netravali

Irradiance Map

Min -3

Max 0

Subdivs 50

Samples 30

Light Cache

Subdivs 1000

Passes 3

Thanks in advance for the help!

that's a beautiful pic, I'm having the same problem at the moment, and came to this post hoping to find an answer, only I'm using QMC for my indirect not light cache, so I'm unsure which parameter I should adjust, in your case, in my limited experience with light cache, I would raise your subdivs and lower your sample size in the light cache dialog, to something like 5000 and .002 respectivly...

Manta, thanks for the compliment and the suggestion. I upped the subdivs and lowered the samples but the results were the same. Check out the thread Ismael posted. It helped to fix my problem. Also, Christopher Nichols interior dvd is a great tutorial/reference. This is my first attempt at vray and it helped me get up to speed very quickly, so you might want to give it a try. Well worth the money.

Christopher, I rendered a new scene using the cache to render the glossy rays, but it didn't help. After reading the link from Ismael (which is a different setup than what I am using) I saw a section which talked about lowering the QMC noise threshold and this did the trick. Your interior dvd has been a great help in learning vray. I'm going to purchase the exteriors one as well.

Thanks for the link Ismael! I found a suggestion in their setup to help with my noise issue.

I'll post back when it's finished. Thanks again everybody!

I kept my original setup of using the Irradiance Map for primary and Light Cache for secondary. The only thing I adjusted was the QMC noise level. Later this evening I'll compare the render time between the normal and lowered QMC noise setting and post back to let you know the difference. Can you think of anything else besides adjusting this setting that will reduce the noise as well as not take up too much render time?

• 2 weeks later...

I like it, only as a suggestion, I would put some crown moulding along the ceiling, not huge, just something, I also think I would change that pic on the wall, can't really tell what it is, and put a complimentary pic on the other side for symmetry sake...just an opinion, great job...