Color Calibration (again) for Dual Monitors

BrianKitts

Okay, I know we've been burying this color calibration into the ground lately with threads but this one's puzzling me....

We have the EFI ES-1000 in our office which I used to get a profile for both of my monitors (one's an LCD, one's a CRT). But windows doesn't have the capability(that I know of) in it's advanced color correction settings to apply seperate monitor profile to each display...... I'd love it if someone tells me I'm completely wrong at this point..... So anyways....

I am able to apply seperate color corrections to each display within my NVIDIA properties, but although the monitors match perfect colorwise, they come out way too dark.... nothing close to reality.

so here's the question....Is anyone running two seperate profiles concurrently with success?

• Administrators
Okay, I know we've been burying this color calibration into the ground lately with threads but this one's puzzling me....

We have the EFI ES-1000 in our office which I used to get a profile for both of my monitors (one's an LCD, one's a CRT). But windows doesn't have the capability(that I know of) in it's advanced color correction settings to apply seperate monitor profile to each display...... I'd love it if someone tells me I'm completely wrong at this point..... So anyways....

I am able to apply seperate color corrections to each display within my NVIDIA properties, but although the monitors match perfect colorwise, they come out way too dark.... nothing close to reality.

so here's the question....Is anyone running two seperate profiles concurrently with success?

First thing, NEVER use the software controls for the video card for any type of calibration work. Leave those at default settings.

I'm not familiar with the calibration device you have, but the Colorvision, monitor spyders are capable of handling two monitors and can create a profile for both so they match. I've use it personally to do that and the results were dead-on.

Is there a specific downfall to setting color correction within the graphics driver. Pardon me if I'm nieve cause I'm new at this, but it seems to my logic I would trust the graphics card being the source of color correction just because its the one controlling it....literaly. Except for the fact that even though its setup to do the color correction it doesn't seem to be working with the profiles I create.

Our system outputs an .icc file for each monitor everytime you run it. So it can create a specific profile for each monitor. But how do you apply two profiles in windows...or are you saying the your calibrator creates one file that is the average of the two monitors? Does your color spyder automatically apply it for you?

With our system everytime you run a new profile it sets it as default for both monitors in windows. In other words if you go into your monitor settings and click on the advanced tab, under color management you can only assign one profile... :-\ Is that not where you are applying your monitor profile?

• Administrators
Is there a specific downfall to setting color correction within the graphics driver. Pardon me if I'm nieve cause I'm new at this, but it seems to my logic I would trust the graphics card being the source of color correction just because its the one controlling it....literaly. Except for the fact that even though its setup to do the color correction it doesn't seem to be working with the profiles I create.

Our system outputs an .icc file for each monitor everytime you run it. So it can create a specific profile for each monitor. But how do you apply two profiles in windows...or are you saying the your calibrator creates one file that is the average of the two monitors? Does your color spyder automatically apply it for you?

With our system everytime you run a new profile it sets it as default for both monitors in windows. In other words if you go into your monitor settings and click on the advanced tab, under color management you can only assign one profile... :-\ Is that not where you are applying your monitor profile?

There is a table called a "lookup table" that defines numerically the colors that are output by a video card. An ICC profile in very basic terms is a set of number that transform that lookup table so the colors you see on the screen match a known target for those numbers. When you start adjusting the video card settings you introduce another vairiable which calibration software is not expecting to be there. Also everytime you upgrade your drivers or if someone accidentally changes those settings your calibration is gone. There is no gurantee from driver to driver that changing a setting in driver will have the same affect.

It does not sound like your current software is capable of handling two monitor profiles. ICC profiles load when windows starts up, and apply those lookup table tranformation once they load. You probably notice your screen looks wrong in start of windows loading and then when the profile management software loads the colors look right/calibrated.

As an aside, this is also why you never want to use or have Adobe Gamma installed. It too performs adjustments to the lookup tables and can and will cause issues with proper calibration. Most calibration software asks you to disable it in advance.