Blender and Viz?

marvins_dad

Has anyone used Blender's gaming engine to do real time walk thru's?

I tried out RTRE and felt that it's current (3 year old) release is rather limiting and I couldn't get the quality of graphics to render properly.

I read on this forum that others suggested Blender's gaming engine, but I haven't installed Blender yet and wondered if there was a How-To out there or if there was a resource that walked you through the process of Baking and Max model, bringing it into Blender's gaming engine and then setting up perimeters to allow you to do a virtual walk around.

Any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

Thanks

antoine

Hi.

The Blender community has some real time 3D samples for walkthrough and simple games. Texture baking is a good utility but for real time 3D it might create some big problems because it`s increasing the texture quantity, so you`ll need a better graphic card to handle so much information. The best idea is to use VertexPaint.

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...

for real time vr stuff, i learnt how to use macromedia director 3d. u have to learn "lingo" a very useful programming language, but its really easy to pick up, and everything is really logical (which i find great). and as your programming your own engines, you have very few limitations.

i have a great book at home which helped me loads, ill have a look and give you the name if you like.

also director supports Havok (physics engine) search the net for examples.

director also exports are many various forms, ie u can export for cd viewing, or for web page viewing.

hope this helps.

Hi all (first post)

I've used Blender quite a bit and it was to use the inbuilt Game Engine for realtime walkthroughs that first got me interested in it.

Blender is an immensely powerful program which has got a reputation (unfairly IMHO) to be difficult to use/learn. The Blender Game Engine is limited in what it can do but active development is once again ongoing for this part of the progam with a new physics engine and support for GLSL etc.

Currently it only supports 1 set of UV co-ords per mesh so seperate textures and light maps are not possible at the moment. You can however light for realtime by storing a radiosity calculation or texture baking within Blender for static shadows.

Performance isn't bad but don't expect to throw around 100,000s of polys, the underlying coding is 5 or 6 years old.

If you want a quick heads-up on how to set up a quick walkthrough I'll knock something up and post it here (just ask).

--

Ricky Dee

Yeah - that's the kind of info I was looking for.

I downloaded the program, but haven't installed because I need some sort of "roadmap" to look at before I start poking around.

When you get a chance I would love to see a write-up on like that and possibly examples if you have any.

Thanks!