Diffuse LampShade type Material Howto

kwerch

Hey all,

I gotta say, some of the stuff you guys are making just blows me away. Pretty damn cool!

Here is what is on my mind- I have some kitchen cabs to make for some clients and I would like to incorporate a type of lighting element that I think would be cool. I would be laminating some wood veneer to some clear acrylic.(I know it is possible, just have to find the right glue-you know, once the veneer is sealed etc...) and use this as an additional source of ambient light. Additionally, there would be +/-3"diameter holes cut into this lens out of which will be shining the task lights. This type of layout would be under all of the "upper cabs" as the bottoms will be roughly 7' from the floor due to some other stuff going on in the room.

So, if I model this element in Max (Basically the lens) and use a transparent material for the veneered area and place a few spot lights in the cut out would that be the reasonable approach to show the veneered panel glowing and the spot lights' directional beams?

Would there be any Vray type issues that I should consider when doing this? Such as use a vray material or vray light to pull this off.Just started using the demo version but have read a bit of the tutorials and forum entries to help me in getting my feet wet.

I'll post on the Max forum once I get any heads up info on lighting issues.

Thanks,

karl

• 4 years later...