C & C needed - Latest WIPs

JamesTaylor

heres 5 from 9 images being produced

one of the most common crits i recieve is my renders are too dark! so taking this into account i've deliberately made these brighter than i usually do? what do you think is it over done now??

any other comments too please, how about the DOF Test? just playing to develop a technique for the final versions at the minute, using AE rather than p'shop to have greater editablity / control etc

Thanks

James

1) SCALE! your cars/people/trees are out of scale with the buildings. That blue audi is barely waist height on the person. In view 4 he also looks to be about 6'6" tall.

2) Contrast. You need way more light in this scene. There should be harder shadows in each view, from direct light, to add some more depth.Try and get an environment channel on the glass to add some more detail.

The last view would be quite good if these two points were corected. I really like the camera angle and composition.

Overall the modelling is excellent - the mapping is pretty good too.

thanks for the comments....i agree with all of you too!

scale of car / person and bricks still to be looked at but here are three renders addressing the contrast and shadow areas. light source has been reduced in size to give harder edged shadows, HDRI environment has bee reduced and sunlight increased to produced greater contrast.

my problem with this however is that the brighter versions, which to me look more acceptable, are beginning to burn out whilst the darker version isn't burning out it looks quite dull and unattractive.

images are direct from render, no post adjustments yet - comments / suggestions please

I actually quite like the images, but there are a few things im not sure about.

The trees/plants in some of the images seem desaturated and maybe have scaling issues. The people seem too big to me, but thats already been mentioned :). Im not convinced by your sky.... i think a better sky image might actually help balance out your contrast issue just a little

Im not sure what you used to render with but it seems the overall ambience is really dark and you are relying on the GI from your direct light to light the dark corners. As a result when up the intensity of the light to reach the dark bits, you burn out the bright bits. The only thing I can suggest is that you look at ambient or environment settings and see if you can light those dark areas without using your direct light.

Another trick is to use a plane that has 'visible to camera' unchecked in its properties, and angle it so that it reflects some of the direct light back into your dark areas. It is a workaround and may not work at the end of the day but it might be worth a try. That is of course assuming that you are using max or viz...

Sorry I feel like ive slated your images a bit. I do actually like them :)

Hi,

In the first set of images I'd say that the depth of field is giving the impression that you have photographed a physical model of the development, the later images are far more realistic. As for the lighting, I think once the harder shadows are added there is a great improvement. However, I would not render the background image - composit it later.

Other than that it has the usual very high standard of modeling & texturing you always show us.:)

heres some more, same image 1st is straight from render 2nd is adjusted in p'shop for softening.......there still seems to be a scaling issue, check the car size which measures correct but it seems huge??

tring to create more contrast in the scene, which i think is now working better. As brain said earlier the images seem to have a feel more like that of a photographed model, i think the contrast helps this, but its getting difficult for me judge properly now.........so comments from fresh eyes will be useful!

Andy - please rip it to shreads!! i'm working remotely at the minute and having critical input on hand is greatly missed, once you've spent a period of time looking at the same images it gets harder to be pick out the errors.

Trevor - thanks for the compliment! at the min the depth of field was only a quick test for using z depth data inconjunction with AE rarther than p'shop, i think its way to heavy at the moment, the backgrounds will be changed before they go out too.

k mate no worries. Perhaps you might want to use subtle lightsources to brighten up your dark areas.... your garages look almost jet black inside and they wouldnt be that dark. Seeing as your PS savvy, maybe consider 'dirtying' up some of your surfaces etc... :)

Right then!!

it seems i've been running my monitors with some strange default colour settings so what i've been producing or beliveing i've produced is quite different to what i expect you have all been seeing!!! (i hope....!!)

i've now got them set in sRGB mode and the comments i've recieved about lighting and contrast etc make much more sense now! So the scene settings are being adjusted and i'll re post a new set of images ASAP.

Thanks

James

here is a render with my monitor set up using sRGB, hopefully we will seeing the same thing now?

anyway please let me have your comments..........

BTW. i'm using Gamma Correction as the Color mapping option in the G - Buffer (VRay) what do you guys usually have it set to for external renders?

overall, good,

my comments would be :

1) lose the bits directly under the soffit, i guess these are vents or something, but are a little distacting,

2) swap the small tree, does'nt work well

3) change the sky,

4) royal blue car , too much colour, and possible the mini colour too much ?

good luck with the client,