image size-rendering time in vray

anindia

i ve tried to render ny image in 2000x1500 pixels in max. then assigned the vray rederer. fixed rate, gi on, and other lighting values assigned. but even after long hours it can not complete its pre passes. is this because of the high resolution assigned? but for a4 quality printing i need to render it atleast in the 1800 pixels rather than 800. i usually make tiff out put with 150 pixels/inch assigned. but that seems impossible to me to render with vray.

i don't know how can i manage the rendering time. can any one help me?

i am using p4-2.8 mHZ hiperthrading processor, intel 965 gbl mother board, 1.5 gb ddr ram(400 hz) and 128 mb gforce grafics card.

after wards i ve assigned 800x600 pixels and render it again. but then it takes hardly a few minutes to cimplete the rendering.(20-25 minutes). i am ver ymuch confused.:confused:

another thing i must mention that, i use 3d max 7 with vray demo. the image i ve rendered with 800x600 pixels, i am attaching below.

i ve used ies sun light(1) with vray shadows.

but if this problem persists (i can not render higher resolution images) i will be helpless.

in the render common parameter out put size 2000x1500 pixels, save to file was assigned to tiff(with 150 pixels/inch,8 bit color).no advanced lighting was assigned. in render scene that was vray demo 1.47.1--- in the renderer parameter of vray i ve used fixed rate with value 1,gi on, both reflective and refractive was on and default value was there.in the primary bounce i put 1.5 and secondary value ,.65. primary-irradiance map and secondary mon--- by default. envionmet- override max turned on default colour, and value was 1.1.

in max i ve used ies sun with 500 lux and in shadow i ve used vray shadow sphere with u size 1500. camera was target camera.

i didn't understand what u suggest be reducing common parameters with larger size out put. and another problem the edges become cripped. is that for antialiasing? how can i overcome that?

Why not try to save your prepass maps as a 800X600, bump your resolution up to whatever size you want, then load the saved prepass calculations? It'll render your image starting at the render stage and bypass the prepass stages. I'm not sure if you tried this or not, but that's what I do for 3600X2400, 100dpi images and it works fine.

do the tutorials .... read whats the different values are for .. the main thing in the settings is irrmap settings and lightcache if u are using ... and fixed rate antialiasing will give you jagged edges .. try adaptive subdivision ...

do read more about the renderer and then do some tutorials and read the help files and then experiment

Hi, i think you should to use Vray trial version instead of the demo version..

In the trial version, you can have a lot of control just like the full version, you can change the sample settings settings that greatly affects the rendering time..

Anindia,

I just rendered an image last night at 4500x2953 pixels with V-Ray and had no problems. I have MAX 8 with V-Ray 1.47 and used a Dual core AMD FX64 box with 3GB of ram. It took nine hours total to prepass and then render. I used Adaptive QMC A.A., Irradiance map for primary & light Cache for secondary, one target direct light with V-Ray shadows and an HDRI environment. Are you using all V-Ray materials? :confused:

Brian M. Parker

Cooper Carry & Associates

3520 Piedmont Rd. N.E.

Suite 200

Atlanta, GA 30305-1595

Office: 404-237-2000 ext. 477

Fax: 404-240-9596www.coopercarry.com

i suggest to you irradience map as primary bounce and light cache (or QMC) as secondary bounce. i have same system config as you do, also i suggest to save the irradience map and then reload that. it will bypass your prepass calculations. but sorry i have no idea of saving irmap on low res and use it for high res

Anindia,

I just rendered an image last night at 4500x2953 pixels with V-Ray and had no problems. I have MAX 8 with V-Ray 1.47 and used a Dual core AMD FX64 box with 3GB of ram. It took nine hours total to prepass and then render. I used Adaptive QMC A.A., Irradiance map for primary & light Cache for secondary, one target direct light with V-Ray shadows and an HDRI environment. Are you using all V-Ray materials? :confused:

Brian M. Parker

Cooper Carry & Associates

3520 Piedmont Rd. N.E.

Suite 200

Atlanta, GA 30305-1595

Office: 404-237-2000 ext. 477

Fax: 404-240-9596www.coopercarry.com

Is that 9 hours total or 9hours to prepass and then some more time to render?

That seems very slow to me. I am not a Vray user but want to get into it. I hear all the time how quick V-ray is, but as soon as you look under the surface most of the renders are only 1500X1000px or there about. I want to know what larger resolution, such as yours, rendertimes are like.

Thanks for any advice

JHV

hi anir,

i guess there is some problem with ur rendering settings......try using the adaptive subdivision option for sampeling purpose and render it and u have also not mentioned to how much fixed rate have u used.....but anyways u can lower all the settings once to see were's the problem then u can start setting up them back........u can also try saving vray map in half resolution and then load it back and render ur image in a higer resolution.....thas what i have also done and it worked pretty well.....

Justin,

That is 9 hours total...from pressing the render button to having the final TGA file saved on my hard drive. Building the light cache was pretty quick...the 5 pre-passes were the longest chunk...and then rendering was not that long. Remember this was at VERY HIGH settings with everything cranked for maximum quaility...and I did not use any DR, only one machine. I leave at around 5:30pm and come back the next morning at around 8:30am so 15 hours is my maximum limit for a rendering.

Thanks

ive found a new way out, i don't know whther it will work or not. one of my friend suggested that put the rendered image as environmental map. put 100 to illumintion lev. then again render with as much resolution as you eant but i didn't get the time to render it. any way i ll do it by today night and tell u the results.

-thanks

aniindia

[try the followin settings

rendering...

imaje sampling adaptive min /max -1/2

GI use irrd maps with min/max -3/-2,hsp sub 25

advnce ir maps settins on ,render end dont del chkd,auto save assign location,switch to saved map

envrnment ,over ide max mult 1/1.3,refl/refr overide max

for output tiff 150 pix res fine

for lighting

assign one direct light with vray shadow only

one onmi swtched off for GI

chk the rend time....vray....n joy....:)

Thanks Parker1

Sorry i press you on this, do you have a breakdown of time for pre-pass and time to render? I understand why it so long and that overnight renders are the go. Rendering time is a huge factor when it comes down to choosing a renderer, along with quality.

I have been looking at some Vray tut's and they all harp on about how quick it is to render, yet they are all rendering to 800X600 resolution, there is very little info out there about how long it takes to render to A3 @300dpi.

Once again thanks for the info

JHV