QTVR with Vray and IR/QMC

MegaPixel

I'm guessing I need to precalculate the IR map before I run the QTVR render but I'm trying to figure out a one-shot way of doing it. With Incremental Frame mode on, I'd have to manually rotate the camera around more then just 90 degrees to capture all that would be viewable in the VR movie which would take me for ever. Is it possible to use the Fish-Eye lense with a 360degree FOV to capture the IR samples and re-use it for the QTVR render?

Just so you know, I did a test render of a QTVR last night with Single Frame mode on and could visibly see the seams/edges of the 6 different renders in the movie - my goal is to eliminate that.

Thanks in advance for the help - MegaPixel

Wow... "The" Chris Nichols replied to my post. Thank you very much.

I went ahead and created an IR map with the Spherical Lense set to 360 as you mentioned, saved it and reused it while creating the QTVR and it seems to have worked fine. I discovered that the QTVR rendering process will not work with the Vray Virtual Frame Buffer active so I had to use the default frame buffer which unfortunatly applied a different gamma to my render but I guess I'll live.

I sparked another question for you if you don't mind. Is the IR map resolution independant? In other words, would creating my IR map at 320x240 vs 1024x768 make a difference? After the IR map is created, which parameters inside the GI rollout are permittable to change without requirign to recreate the IR map?

Thanks again for your help - MegaPixel

Sorry Quizzy, we must have posted about the same time. Actually, I am using the Panorama Exporter Utility ;)

It's kind of limiting though, can't really control the ultimate resolution of the movie and can't really edit the image itself. I'm considering purchasing some kind of QTVR software that will let me have more authoring flexability. Any ideas?

Thx - Mega

I attached my quicky QTVR sample. I wanted to show you the affect that the Spherical IR map seems to have on it. If you look at the floor and ceiling, you will notice how the noise in the scene tends to get closer and closer together at the "poles" of the spherical IR map. What's the best way of illiminating this effect, besides throwing more samples at the original calculation?

Thx guys - Mega

I sparked another question for you if you don't mind. Is the IR map resolution independant? In other words, would creating my IR map at 320x240 vs 1024x768 make a difference? After the IR map is created, which parameters inside the GI rollout are permittable to change without requirign to recreate the IR map?

Anyone have an answer for this?

Thank you

So if the maximum resolution I can render to in the panorama exporter is 3072x1536, then I should create my IR map at the same size and proportion, even though I am using a Fish Eye lense to create it?

I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record, I know this process would be more straight forward if I wern't rendering a QTVR and just a standard single frame image. It's the fact that some kind of squishing and squeezing process to correct the aspect of the image occures when the QTVR is created that bothers me and I just want to make sure that the mechanics of the creation process don't interfere with the quality of my IR map.

Here is another sample I did last night - took 12 hours to calc the IR map on High preset IR/QMC and I still don't think I have my quality right.

If you want to render the IR map fast and not have to change the resolution to do it, just decrease the size the or IR map.

res 2048x1024 at -4,-2 is the same as

res 1048x512 at -3,-1 is the same as

res 512x256 at -2,0

etc...

does that help explain it?

Thank you

So if the maximum resolution I can render to in the panorama exporter is 3072x1536, then I should create my IR map at the same size and proportion, even though I am using a Fish Eye lense to create it?

I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record, I know this process would be more straight forward if I wern't rendering a QTVR and just a standard single frame image. It's the fact that some kind of squishing and squeezing process to correct the aspect of the image occures when the QTVR is created that bothers me and I just want to make sure that the mechanics of the creation process don't interfere with the quality of my IR map.

Here is another sample I did last night - took 12 hours to calc the IR map on High preset IR/QMC and I still don't think I have my quality right.