Hidden Line/Line renderers?

Hey guys,

Recently I've had a bunch of clients (architects) in the design/build process that have been requesting line renderings so they can play with colors, ect.

Now, I currently build in MicroStation and render in Vue 5 Infinite. MicroStation HAS a hidden line renderer, but it's asscheeks. It constantly misses lines and just renders out with really thick lines (even if I render at 6000 px wide and shrink in PhotoShop. Attached is a result.)

Vue has no way of doing a line rendering.

Is there any specific software that does? Maybe an AMAPI or just something? Sketchup?

I think you can go on with sketchup.but there is no redering in sketchup,it just exports shots with different shading/shadows/colours modes Also abstract materials & lines(& the cool sketchy lines)

This is a great renderer:

http://www.finalrender.com/products/products.php?UD=10-7888-35-788&PID=37

It's part of Final Render Stage 1. You need Max, Maya or Cinema to use it, though.

You can render out almost anything as separate vector files (like Illustrator). You can also combine the vectors with GI and reflections (I recently made some images that look very similar to Sketch up's images, but included reflections and accurate shadows.).

My question would be what do you use at the moment and how can you fit something else in.

I use formz to model, the hidden line is good, and you can also render flat shaded version of full colour renders with the external lines on and of any thinkness you want.

What I do a lot is, Export the model out of Formz as a dwg untriangulated v2000 and import it in to Sketcup.

It comes in fully layered and then you can do all you want with it.

Download the demo of sketchup, and import a model in , it works a treat .

If you have any trouble send me a mail , I will do my best to sort it out for you .

Mail me if you want some sample of the process from formz to sketchup and then to max for the finished item.

phil