selling/transferring license(s)?

josephus

NL has stated that they will not allow license transfers. In practice, I personally wouldn't allow that to stop me... particularly since they didn't create that policy until after they sold the app to me.

NL has stated that they will not allow license transfers. In practice, I personally wouldn't allow that to stop me... particularly since they didn't create that policy until after they sold the app to me.

hmmm, interesting, was not aware of them having stated that.

hmmm, interesting, was not aware of them having stated that.

They haven't publicly stated it anywhere that I've seen, they've only said it to those who have emailed them asking about it. If you search the NL forum, I believe several people have posted their responses from Maya & co.

I seriously wouldn't sweat it, though... as Ernest suggests, they have no idea what they're doing, they're just making shit up as they go along. They live in an especially fragile glass house, so I wouldn't expect them to throw too many stones (or worry about it if they did).

Besides, if you're not ever going to use Maxwell, you're doing them a favor by passing it off to someone who will use it (and potentially upgrade). Maybe one day they'll be smart enough to realize this.

Probably not, though, so I wouldn't hold out for it.

Well each user does have a license, and only a licensed user can post on the web site so I think it will be kind of hard for who ever buy's the software from you to get updates and ask questions unless you allow him to use your information. I'd say send them an e-mail and ask if you can do it but don't be surprised when the say no.

Bottom line is that if a company will not support selling a licence I think you cannot do so morally, since your buyer will be like a ghost at the dinner table. It's not fair to them, even if you explain the situation.

It's a good point, but IMHO the moral issues begin with deciding to pawn this trainwreck of an app off on someone else- the absurd truth is that you're virtually in PT Barnum territory at that point.

Bottom line is that if a company will not support selling a licence I think you cannot do so morally, since your buyer will be like a ghost at the dinner table. It's not fair to them, even if you explain the situation.

I agree that if someone buys the license (plusone) that he/she should have full privileges at the "table", I would not sell it otherwise. Although if someone already HAS a license, and wants to take advantage of their coop rendering feature that breaks all barriers, then this might be a very reasonable way for him/her to add 8 cpus to the coop farm.

It's a good point, but IMHO the moral issues begin with deciding to pawn this trainwreck of an app off on someone else- the absurd truth is that you're virtually in PT Barnum territory at that point.

lol:)

Well each user does have a license, and only a licensed user can post on the web site so I think it will be kind of hard for who ever buy's the software from you to get updates and ask questions unless you allow him to use your information. I'd say send them an e-mail and ask if you can do it but don't be surprised when the say no.

Don't forget that there are plenty of licensed users who are *not* permitted to post on NL's website. Works okay for me, actually. Instead of asking there I simply send all of my questions directly to tech support. I'm quite sure that tech support will soon regret tom's action. :)

Dont forget those who have limited or curtailed their 'helpful' activities on maxwell forum due to abviously personal-based censorship and outright bullying.

Your right that if we all email tech support with EVERY question... perhaps the forum will be reverted to it's original state of a free speech place of maxwell healing. :)

As soon as I can bring myself to tackle the everest sized mountain that is studio 'light simulator' and figure out how to get results... well... I guess that's plenty'o tech support emails for next limit... mmm mmm

I have lodged complaints about the fact that you couldn't sell your product license since day one (for me that's the final alpha). Oh, and the multiple core thing... oh, and the glass not working thing.... oh, and the bla bla bla... If I got paid at my regular rates for the amount of time I've messed with maxwell vs. Next Limit... well.. man I'd be a pretty rich man. In fact, I think there would be hundreds of 'rich men' .

LOL (err... is the joke actually on me?)

Ian.

PS. how can any self respecting company support the idea of banning it's software owners from the very forum designed to help them? Especially considering how many people have been removed simply for commenting on how PEOPLE WERE BEING REMOVED. I made the mistake of saying that as long as you are polite and respectful your opinion can be expressed in relation to a topic... posted in the 'off topic' section. I was (after the thread was deleted) warned in personal message that the very TOPIC was off limits. In fact, if everyone on the forum knew how they were being pablumized I think it would garner some pretty strong feelings of revulsion... but how can you affect change if any dissenting voice is taken out to the nearest wall and executed on the spot.