C4D licenses

If both copies will be running simultaneously, then yes. But if you have it installed on a desktop and a laptop for example, and you only use one copy at a time, I don't think Maxon has a problem with that, although it may violate the letter of the licensing agreement.

Jack

But if you have it installed on a desktop and a laptop for example, and you only use one copy at a time, I don't think Maxon has a problem with that,

I know some software companies are OK with this, but I'd check with Maxon first.

...like my FormZ license....quote]

So do you use FZ w/C4D? If so, what's your workflow? I've recently switched my CAD program to Archicad and have been using FZ w/Renderzone for my renderings, but am seriously considering purchasing C4D going from Archicad directly into C4D.

Yes, I use FormZ for modelling (most of it) and C4D for rendering and organic modelling. I'm quite proficient with modelling in C4D, but I prefer a CAD style modelling environment for architecture. I've heard good things about archicad and there are several users here that use it with C4D with the plugin.

Yes, I use FormZ for modelling (most of it) and C4D for rendering and organic modelling. I'm quite proficient with modelling in C4D, but I prefer a CAD style modelling environment for architecture. I've heard good things about archicad and there are several users here that use it with C4D with the plugin.

What render engine do you use? I'm thinking of switching to C4D just because I feel too limited by FormZ's Renderzone renderer. In another thread, Ernest B. said he switched over to C4D some time ago and uses Final Render which he likes very much, but says it crashes a lot, especially when used in the render farm mode (that would drive me nuts to have the render farm crash when trying to meet a deadline). He felt like C4D's own advanced render is really hard to get a handle on, and from what I can tell, if it's that challenging to someone like Ernest, then I'd better forget trying to use it.

When I mentioned "Don't any of these applications have it together?", he replied "Not for Cinema they don't." This is very disconcerting to hear.

btw: FormZ's render server/client works great.

I find Advanced Render very capable and easy to use. The specific problem Ernest seems to be having is due to an enormously complex scene. I suspect it would put a strain on almost any render engine out there. Of course, AR definitely has room for improvement, but I wouldn't write it off. It's still the only renderer I use.

I also used to model and render in FormZ, but now FormZ is just for modeling, and I use Cinema for everything else. I used to export VRML files from FormZ, which inlclude lights & cameras. Lately I have been using DXF more because I specifically don't want those items, and the exporting process goes more smoothly.

It does get old having to go back and forth between apps this way, and I've been thinking about picking up Vectorworks for some modeling. Archicad seems to have a strong connection too.

Jack

getting the hang of the AR is great. one reason i switched from max. max over complicates itself with loads of options. the AR is more simpler and intuetive. but understanding it and using it correctly? that takes time to master.

Any engine will take some time to learn - I think the more important thing is to figure out your style and then figure out how to make the render engine do that.

I find C4Ds material editor and lights to be very flexible and not overly complicated. FormZ is lacking in these area - far too simplified. There are a few key shaders such as Fusion and Fresnel that allow you to produce some very nice effects. I also find the lights easy to use and highly flexible. These are the key features to me.

Lately I have been using DXF more because I specifically don't want those items, and the exporting process goes more smoothly.

I also export as DXF...mostly because it maintains layer structures. Although C4D doesnt use layers, it does have an nested Object Heirarchy that will be translated from Layers in FormZ (layer Groups do not transfer).