xref scene vs xref object

jtiscareno

OK found another thing, it seems that xref scene can not be moved in the "composite file" but if one changes the material it changes in the master file and xref objects do NOT change material in the master file????

Is there a way to make a connection better of an xref object in the master file (IE change material) or ???

Only major difference that I can see is that one can move an xref object but can not move an xref scene

Well you can move Xref scenes but you need to do an extra step. You need to create a dummy object, link the scene to the dummy and then move the dummy - Xref scene will follow.

Other differences are that Xref scene will always reflect the current state of that file, however an Xref object will only reflect changes to that object. This can be particularly annoying if the object you've xrefed is a group - it won't bring in any additions/subtractions to that group.

• 1 year later...
Guest sachinwalvekar

Hi,

I am using 3dsmax 8 & I have not found a way to link dummy to an xref scene to be able to move it......Let me know how u do it.

Thanks & Regards,

sachin.

Guest sachinwalvekar

Hi,

I am using 3dsmax 8 & I have not found a way to link dummy to an xref scene to be able to move it......Let me know how u do it.

Thanks & Regards,

sachin.

Guest sachinwalvekar

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,

sachin.

• 1 year later...
Well you can move Xref scenes but you need to do an extra step. You need to create a dummy object, link the scene to the dummy and then move the dummy - Xref scene will follow.

Other differences are that Xref scene will always reflect the current state of that file, however an Xref object will only reflect changes to that object. This can be particularly annoying if the object you've xrefed is a group - it won't bring in any additions/subtractions to that group.

I am trying to do this. I have a dummy in my master file, but I see no apparent way to link an Xref Scene to the dummy. Hopefully I am missing something obvious.