Gamma Correction

Sawyer

I am working on a tutorital for gamma correction. I would like to know what people think before I post it. I would especially like to know if it's correct.

Basically this is a beta and if it makes sense I will continue with it if it's not helpful I will drop it. Let me know if you have questions about it if it reads well or if I am incorrect with my examples.

Right now it is just a word doc at my login site. To dl it type in vray as a password. Not very sophisticated I know.

http://sfrendering.com/index-login.html

i think you need to explain more about why your monitor does not display correctly, what advantages there are by working in linear color space or gamma adjusted space. ...besides just keeping your colors acurate. speed of rendering, not oversaturated, keeps the color bleed in check, etc. (at least these are some of the advantages i think it offers)

i like the inclusion of the Max prefs. this took me a little while to figure out when i was going through the threads awhile ago.

i am no where close to having an absolute grasp on everything. i am doing my best to work in linear space right now.

Travis - did it clear anything up? Is there any reason to have this? I don't want to just post another gc post if it doesn't help clear things up. I will add why I switched to this method and the benifits it has brought me.

Travis - did it clear anything up? Is there any reason to have this? I don't want to just post another gc post if it doesn't help clear things up. I will add why I switched to this method and the benifits it has brought me.

yes and no. i have been working through this recently, so i have figured out several of things through threads. this would have helped in realizing i needed to set my bitmap output to 1.0, and input to 2.2.

i also learned where the .4545 comes from, didn't realize that before.

is the term "lower resolution files" used correctly? it may be, but that phrase makes me think in terms of a 700 pixel wide image compared to a 3000 pixel wide image.

Hiya like what I read. Seemed to be the most straight forward explaination that I ve seen and got the explains the way you would actually use it. Would there be any informatino about the colour correction in the final one?

Yes. I really did mean that.

I probably won't be posting another update for a few so please let me know anything else I need to change. Again this is really a wip and if this proves confusing or incorrect or not helpful I will pull it down. So please mark it up and change what needs to change.

Yes. I really did mean that.

I probably won't be posting another update for a few so please let me know anything else I need to change. Again this is really a wip and if this proves confusing or incorrect or not helpful I will pull it down. So please mark it up and change what needs to change.

Oh trust me I know... it is one of the hardest things to teach... your tutorial is great, and as you know there are around 4 on the same subject and people are still confused. I was very worried about how to discuss this on my DVD.

Oh trust me I know... it is one of the hardest things to teach... your tutorial is great, and as you know there are around 4 on the same subject and people are still confused. I was very worried about how to discuss this on my DVD.

Thank you.

At this stage I really want to make sure I am saying the right thing. I have a nagging feeling that if I understand it I might be wrong.

Also it seems hard to know when to stop. I really want this to be as simple as possible and I see the temptation to add too much. I said this at the chaos forum but I would rather have people look at throbs site and glean his info than have me re-interpret what he said.

Sawyer, downloaded your tut last night. It seems clear and concise and has now got me started with LWF.

The sort of 'step by step' format realy helps, although I did have a little trouble understanding where I could use the 'colour correct' plugin (I'm new to max....) but a quick trip to the help files on www.cuneytozdas.com soon put me right.

I think you've got just the right balance of info in there to get people started but not confuse them. A job well done, thanks!

Rob.

So i've been following these gamma correction threads and having read sawyers tutorial i thought finally this seems quite straight forward and well explained!

i've gone thro the tutorial and followed the steps as set out and then tried to use solution 1 to burn the gamma correction into the image. My problem is that when i render an image in the max fram buffer the image appears washed out (like the image example sawyer shows as being corrected twice in solution 2) yet if i render the same image out using the vray buffer it appears darker (looks better / more normal).

In the vray buffer render, if i apply correction via the curve editor it matches the render from the max buffer........so which one is correct?? what am i missing??

the other element to this is, if i save both images from each buffer as a .jpeg and view them thro windows preview they both look identical (as the vray buffer version looks), even tho they look different in max??

as you can probably guess, i think i'm almost there in nailing this technique but yet again i've ended up a little confused!!! help!!