Differences between Max & Viz?

archkre

Well, in the words of a guy who actually makes a living selling both... "with max you can do it. With Viz, maybe you can". Meaning: if you have a choice, choose max.

Anyway, Viz lacks a whole lot of tools we use in our everyday work, and Autodesk thinks we don't. You only have radiosity, you don't have light tracer, reactor, some advanced animation tools... I don't know, I just find it too limited for my liking.

Viz is indeed a stripped down version of max. The major features missing in viz are:

Particles and Space warps

Video Post

Sub object animation

Hair and Fur

Cloth

Pelt Mapping

Reactor

Character Studio

Bones

Skin Modifier

HI IK Solver

There could be more but that's all I know for now.

But does Viz have any additional function than Max 8?

If I have to do a fountain with jets spitting water, will Viz work for that?

If I have to model cloth pieces like coaches/drapes/comforters/towells, etc.?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you can animate materials in VIZ either; at least you couldn't with VIZ3, when I last used it. That means no moving water textures, tv's playing a video, etc.

There is a way around this for some things. I was using VIZ3i back when it was out and needed a tv playing a video in an animation and I used an avi file for my material and it worked just fine. I was actually surprised, but it turned out. You could do the same with water.

I agree with all of these replys however nobody really gave a complete answer. In fact I see that some of you had blamed Autodesk for the

cut back version of Max. This was not Autodesks fault.

Viz was originally written because Architects are Cheap and they needed

a way to capture the attention of this community.

I know. I was partners with one for 4 years.

Of course after they started using the Cheap version because they were

sure they didn't need "All that extra stuff in max" they found out they could

save days if not weeks on projects using features like reactor for modeling.

Bottom line. Get 3ds Max and a subscription you'll save yourself a lot

of grief.

:D Murph

http://www.virtualpartners.com

As an architect, I must say it does depend on what your position and intent.

What most of these are used for, from my experience and numerous firms, is client approval, marketing pics, and hopefully a tool in the design process.

As much as I love all of the special effects of high end renderings and animations, I don't see them as a "normal" tool for architectural presentation and design. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this.

But I can imagine though that if you're a full time CGI artist, you may need and use these tools.

I learned Max in school for several years and then I got a job at a firm that uses VIZ. Not many differences as far as those needed for architectural modelling/rendering, but I really miss not having Light-tracer in VIZ. Why would they withhold a modifier that is used for lighting when trying to market to the architectural field?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious to know how reactor is used for modeling, it's the first time I've heard of that. I've never really used reactor, only played with it a bit, and it seemed to be useful for aniamting hierarchical objects only.

When it comes to only architectural rendered stills and fly-bys, is VIZ sufficient?

Will all 3dsmax plugin programs work with VIZ?

If Vray or Maxwell are compatible with VIZ, than I wouldn't really care much that the Light Tracer is missing in VIZ, in my opinion.

I would much rather spend $2000 on VIZ plus $800 on Vray, then to spend $3500 on Max and just use the Light Tracer or Mental Ray, if someone thinks differently, I'd like to know the reasons.

I think that perhaps the only feature in 3dsmax that I would miss in VIZ is particles, but for the kind of work I do, I really don't need it. Besides the particles, and reactor, is there anything else in 3dsmax that is missing in VIZ that would help specifically for architectural visualization?

Another important question, does VIZ have the same Curve Editor and Dope Sheet that 3dsmax has?

Also, is there any difference between 3dsmax's Layer Manager and VIZ's?

So far it appears to me that all of the features removed from 3dsmax to make VIZ are features that I wouldn't give any use to when it comes to architectural visualization. I wonder if I'm incorrect, can someone please give me some examples, besides the obvious partical systems and reactor which I in particular am not interested in?

• 2 months later...